I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Monday, March 13, 2006

I Now Spell 'November' With 2 'U's, Like This: "Novembuur"

That's right, U2 had to cancel their Australian tour later this month due to the illness of a family member of someone in the band. (Top tip is The Edge's son.) And then tonight, on an Enough Rope interview with Andrew Denton on the ABC (which is still going on behind me -- on the TV behind me, that is ... I'm not in the room with them and turning my back on them!), Bono revealed that the new dates for their Vertigo tour would probably be in November. Dates to come soon; "hopefully tomorrow".

Here's a bit more of the story, including some other grabs from later on in the interview (which was quite revealing).

So that means Wifey will be attending the U2 concert near the end of the year, not near the start. I believe Bono when he says he feels really bad about having to postpone the concert, and agree with him that it's almost bizarre that the only other time in their long career as a band that they've ever had to postpone a tour (or a gig) was three or four concerts in Sydney in the 80s. !! Oh well, it could have been worse; they might have simply cancelled the tour.

It's not as simple for those previously-happy ticket holders who had arranged flights and other travel arrangements so they could see the shows, though. Bono also expressed sincere apologies to those affected by their decision in that way.

The plus side for me is I can continue to milk my gift to Wifey of the U2 ticket for pretty-much the entire year. My St Valentine's Day present was ace enough in February, and I thought I'd be able to ride the wave of goodwill until late March. Now it turns out I can continue to draw on my own generosity and thoughtfulness for another nine months, and reap the benefits of being such an ideal husband.

Because that's what it's all about, after all. What's in it for me, and how much I can take advantage of the situation to make myself look good.

I love you, Bono.

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 14, 2006 10:51:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bono's great and all. But for a man who talks so much he actually says very little.

I don't trust it.

You see, I have a theory that all rockstars are complete meatheads... even the 'smart' ones. They're just better at hiding their steaky brain power from us. I suspect that if Bono said what he was actually thinking and actually answered questions properly we would all be crushed by the realisation that he doesn't really know what's going on. Sure, it's all well and good to fix the worlds problems, but do you really think a guy who spends most of his time snorting china white heroin from the butt-cracks of $1000 an hour hookers and bathing in 80 year old wine has all the answers?

Still, great band.

 
At Tuesday, March 14, 2006 12:20:00 pm, Blogger magical_m said...

Did you notice in that interview that Bono never seemed to give a direct answer to any of Denton's (very well researched and thoughtful) questions? He just seemed to go off on "I'll tell you a story about the time..." tangents.

Then again he is Irish.

Oh and I heard that it was Edge's daughter Sian who is sick - apparently he dedicated the Grammy to her recently and it was rumoured she has leukemia?

That's just what I've heard...

 
At Tuesday, March 14, 2006 12:40:00 pm, Blogger Steph said...

I had tickets too, *cries*

 
At Tuesday, March 14, 2006 6:49:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Michelle, welcome! Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law's airline ticket woes ... although Bono mentioned that "... the airlines have been really cool about all of this. So it looks good." I assumed that meant a deal had been struck with them all (but perhaps not Virgin?) to not inconveience anyone whose plans were thrown out by the news. Maybe your brother-in-law should have another go, citing Bono's interview? :) The whole transcript is now up on the Enough Rope website, and can the found here, by the way.

Gregory Surlyboy, very amusing - that made me laugh. :) I like your theory, even if I question your idea of how Bono spends his time.

Magical_M, I think you're making a similar (albeit far less 'conspiracy theory'-ridden) point as Gregory Surlyboy. Yeah, he's certainly Irish and likes a yarn, and his stories were (for the most part) interesting and revealing (to me, anyway). But you're also right in that he tended to stray from the question a bit. Was this deliberate? Or was he just having a great time talking to Denton? Also, you're right about it being The Edge's daughter, not his son. I had a brain freeze last night as I was typing that, and meant to say 'daughter'. I don't know why I wrote 'son'. It's very perplexing.

Steph, is Novembuur no good for you? Are your plans in complete disarray, or are you just bemoaning the extra eight month delay? Hopefully you still plan to catch them in Novembuur.

 
At Wednesday, March 15, 2006 10:51:00 am, Blogger Adam said...

I forgot to mention long, long ago that one of the reasons I intend to never get married was because you already took the title 'Ideal Husband' leaving me with the only remaining title of 'Victoria's Most Skanky Hoe'.

 
At Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:45:00 pm, Blogger Riss said...

I picked up on Bono's evasive answers as well. Maybe that's just because I've been on an interview panel recently though. I agree that Denton's questions were well though-out and Bono did seem to want to tell his stories. I guess in a situation like that you can't really ask the question again expecting him to actually answer it without waffling. It was a bit disappointing really, considering the interviewer put in so much work and can get some ripping yarns out of many other people, Sir Billy Connolly for one, Sir Bob Geldof for another.

 
At Friday, March 17, 2006 3:19:00 pm, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

AMAZING RACE!!!! ?
WHERE ART THOU ?

Channel 7 so scared about the Comm games that they had to shelve the show for 1 or 2 weeks? How pathetic. Also prison break wasn't on, the routine is outta wack....

 
At Friday, March 17, 2006 10:17:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Adam, haha. Yeah, but you'd do the title proud! Missin' your ace posts, dude. I hope Blogger gets your blogsite problems sorted out ASAP. Blogger? Pull your finger out!

Riss, d'you think he was being intentionally evasive, or could he just have been tired / sick of interviews / feeling friendly and chatty / drunk? There's no question of Denton's superb skills as an interviewer, though. He was on my list of all-time brilliant TV personalities, if you remember.

Clokeeeey, I know - upsetting, isn't it. But as I said to Spankk here, it's scheduled to return next week. Maybe they figured we'd be interested in the Games the first week, but tired of them already by the second?! Prison Break; you're right. That's another one that was missing. It's just criminal. (No pun intended.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home