I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Monday, December 05, 2005

Documentary - Days One, Two & Three

I started filming a documentary on the weekend (actually, I started it on Friday afternoon). It's going to be a four-part mini-series that will screen on the ABC late next year. I deliberated for months on the topic I should use for my documentary, because I am torn between equal-parts "The War on Terror" and "Japanese Whaling Ships", so I flipped a coin (heads: The War on Terror; tails: Japanese Whaling Ships) and it got stuck in a ridge between two pieces of concrete when it landed, making it come up 'edges'.

After checking with Sportsbet, I discovered that the subject matter that was listed under 'edges' was Adam.

The first day of filming was marked by several set-backs, which I hope will not continue into the schedule. First, the weather was pretty bad. Second, my research assistants had done all this work on Japanese Whaling Ships and the War on Terror, but had little-to-no information whatsoever on Adam. I had them fired for their lack of foresight, then their union came in and roasted me for unfair dismissal, so I had to allow the research assistants back. (Not that they work anymore; they're on a good wicket and they know it, so they just sit around drinking coffee all day for $26 an hour.)

When the weather cleared and I'd put the lack-of-research issue behind me, I discovered more problems. First, Adam lives in a completely different city to where we were, and second, the man himself didn't know we were filming a documentary on him. This last point in particular raised all sorts of legal issues such as permission, rights, royalties, use of likeness, affiliation, defamation, copyright, industrial relations, voluntary student unionism, immigration, transport, finance, consumer affairs, foreign trade, cut-backs, cut-downs, cut-offs, let-backs, let-downs, let-offs, and of course free donuts on Tuesdays (I fired my legal team only to have their own legal teams force me to reinstate them; now they sit around drinking coffee all day for $685 an hour). But this wasn't the worst of it. No way. Not by a long shot.

The long shot came from a building 6 blocks away, but thankfully it missed - and then the police were all over it anyway.

There was no simple answer to the fact that Adam lives in Sydney (or possibly Melbourne - he's quite vague about this), but because we had expected the subject of our documentary to be quite different, we were currently in Baghdad. With tickets to Tokyo, if the coin had landed on tails. So this was slightly inconvenient.

I began by filming 'man on the street interviews', asking people for their thoughts on Adam anyway, but encountered the following problems:

1) I don't speak Towel-Head;
2) The Towel-Heads didn't speak English;
3) The Towel-Heads didn't know who the hell Adam was anyway;
4) I got severely bashed when I was overhead calling them 'Towel-Heads';
5) While I was in hospital, our hotel was bombed. Thankfully, the only people from our team who were in it at the time were my research assistants and legal team. That's what you get for not working when you're being paid to! (Note to self: Work at work.)

Upon our arrival back to Australia on Saturday night, I immediately set about hiring new research assistants and a new legal team. However, as the next day was Sunday, I could only get the heathen ones (which worked in my favour as far as the legal team was concerned - who wants a moral legal team?).

The next day, filming was due to start at 11am, but I was still asleep (I'm a lazy bugger) so it wasn't until 4:30pm that we were actually ready to roll. Unfortunately, at around 7:15pm (after filming some fantastic shots and interviews), it was discovered that no one had purchased any film for the camera. Instead, I sent the camera crew home (I knew enough by now not to try firing them - plus, it was my responsibility to buy the film) and decided to concentrate on collating the relevant documents my new research assistants had obtained for me while I was sleeping earlier that day, with the view to recording the first of many voiceovers. As I'm generally the best at speaking out of all the people I know (and my worthless flights to Baghdad had used all our entire budget - don't tell the crew!), I decided to record the voiceovers myself, using an old 8-track I found in some old guy's garage (he was doing the lawns as I passed and saw the garage door open, so I helped myself).

The first voiceover goes like this. Tell me what you think:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. Space: The final frontier. Call me Ishmael."

To say I've borrowed liberally from other people's work would be an understatement, but given the weekend I'd had, I was clearly going to get nothing done if I relied solely upon my own abilities.

Hopefully things will improve when we try again next weekend.

13 Comments:

At Monday, December 05, 2005 1:32:00 pm, Blogger Cathy said...

Who knew, a Muppet themed blog. I love it. My husband once told me that his dream and greatest ambition in life would have been to work with Jim Henson and be a puppeteer. Seriously. I can;t wait to show him your links.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2005 1:39:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Woo-hoo! Thanks for the comment, Cathy. Excellent to hear about your husband; I hope to hear from him too someday.

Henson was a trail-blazer, it's true. And a real visionary. His work continues to inspire and is lightyears ahead of what some people are still creating now and fooling themselves into thinking is 'fresh' and 'ground-breaking'.

I actually haven't blogged much on the Muppets lately, but a quick scroll through my archives will bring up more Muppet-themed posts if he's interested in reading them. I hope to inject more Muppet stuff in some coming posts soon.

Cheers!

 
At Monday, December 05, 2005 3:10:00 pm, Blogger elaine said...

can you turn adam: the documentary into a muppet spectacular?

 
At Monday, December 05, 2005 3:22:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

That's a great idea, Elaine ... I'm going to mull over that (pass the bong, Barry) and get back to you.

I wonder which Muppet would play Adam.

Probably Gonzo.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2005 9:52:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

um. bevis. are you sure you didn't ask cotton to guest post here? this didn't read like you, no way, no siree and it scared me a little. where is the bevis i know and love. i TOLD you, don't go changing. what happened?

i don't like it when i don't know what to believe. in.

ps what happened on neighbours on friday night

pps are you jobe?? who is jobe? what is going on, i am feeling dislocated here.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2005 10:11:00 pm, Blogger Quirkie said...

Brilliant funny, whoever you are.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2005 10:23:00 pm, Blogger Adam said...

... hey, just passing through, whoa!! has anyone noticed a remarkable improvement on the quality around here since yesterday. I didn't realise I loved this blog so....

 
At Monday, December 05, 2005 10:26:00 pm, Blogger Adam said...

Hi, long time reader, first time commenter. BLAWHOA!! THIS BLOG IS FREAKIN' GREAT!!

 
At Monday, December 05, 2005 10:29:00 pm, Blogger Adam said...

Hi Bevis, this is a great blog. I heard from my Aunties nefyew (proof-read that The Bevis) that Adam lives in Melbourne but WHOA!! HOW FREAKIN' GREaT IS THIS BLOG!!

 
At Monday, December 05, 2005 11:24:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have been tagged.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2005 11:34:00 pm, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

I hate to be sceptical too, but theres a rotten fish in denmark.
Someone has invaded the frog skin.

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:38:00 am, Blogger Adam said...

...because this is the best ever work he's ever done?

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:39:00 am, Blogger BEVIS said...

No, no, people. It's all me. Are you saying I can't be wacky-zany-weird-humorous? I didn't realise I hadn't shown that side of myself before.

Trust me, as opposed to this being a 'changed' me, this is me being 'back'.

But thank you for your concern. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home