I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Most Underrated Jim Henson Flick

I bought The Dark Crystal on DVD the other day for a fantastic (ie. cheap) price. I hadn't seen it in years, and I have to say that for the time it was made (1982), the effects are astounding.




Sure, it's still a case of sometimes-wobbly, sometimes-unconvincing puppetry reminiscent of the time, but all things considered, it's very well done.

I remember seeing it as a kid, knowing that it was by Jim Henson & crew, and I guess expecting to see my beloved Muppets. I know this much - I was hugely disappointed with it. It wasn't what I expected at all and I didn't like it one bit. I think I was still in that 'everything should have a sickly-sweet Hollywood ending' stage, which I'm happy to say I have well-and-truly grown out of now.

Not that The Dark Crystal doesn't have a happy ending ... the whole movie was just to weird for me at the age I was, I guess. Anyway, my point is this: The film is grossly underappreciated and deserves to be looked at anew, with fresh eyes. If you can't get your hands on a fresh pair of eyes, use your current eyes. But 'do yourself a favour' and take a look at it sometime. It was never my favourite film as I grew up, but I have a new appreciation for it and how well it was put together.

There are rumours online (I won't link to them because online rumours shouldn't really be encouraged until they can be officially validated, in my opinion - if you know that this has happened, please let me know) that The Dark Crystal 2* is going to be made within the next 12 months. If this is true, I think there's a great chance that it'll be an amazing film (and, as with any sequel, there's also a huge risk that they'll spoil the whole franchise, which I hope they don't).

(Edit: Actually, as an afterthought, I've decided that I will link to this page on the sequel.)

So get behind the original film, and let's hope a whole new generation can enjoy this creative masterpiece.



* I think the full title they're looking at using is The Dark Crystal 2: The Search For Spock. They already threw out the early suggestion of The Dark Crystal 2: Billy Turns Evil ... & Hosts The Worst Oscars Ceremony EVER!

6 Comments:

At Sunday, September 11, 2005 10:40:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the Dark Crystal when it came out and I still think it's a great movie to scare kids with. I was going to buy it recently as you did Bevis, but unfortunetly my wife thinks it's freaky.

I thought it was very imaginative when it came out and saw it at the cinema. Even though it's all puppets, I think its a stronger film than some of these computer animated 'kids' movies that come out these days.

Glad you brought it up. Brings back fond memories.

 
At Monday, September 12, 2005 8:13:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's crap

 
At Monday, September 12, 2005 9:44:00 am, Blogger Melba said...

i never saw it. it might be too freaky for princess. she is nine today - woo hoo - but she is a sensitive soul. i'll check it out.

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2005 8:35:00 am, Blogger Riss said...

Dark Crystal was too scary for me. I am going to buy it to add to my DVD collection but there are a few more things I want to get first.

I want the Storyteller series and the other Muppet television specials before Dark Crystal.

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2005 10:43:00 am, Blogger LadyCracker said...

Have seen The Dark Crystal about 1000 times. My parent bought it for me on video when I was a tacker.
Congrats on purchasing a great film. The Skekis were the scariest things I had ever seen.

 
At Saturday, February 10, 2007 7:02:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic movie, i loved it since i was 3! seen it a shitload of times since then and it's one of my favorite movies ever.

I believe this is Jim Henson's masterpiece and much better then the somewhat gay "Labyrinth". I can't wait for the sequel next year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home