I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Monday, August 29, 2005

I Must Be Loved!

An old friend of mine* has recently added my blog to the list of links on the side menu of her own blogsite.**

This has excited me greatly, as it means the following points are true:

(a) Despite a distinct lack of any comments from her at all on my blog in, say, ... ever, she must have at least visited it once (to get my URL, if nothing more, as I know the content of my blog wouldn't be quite witty or political or crude enough to entice her to actually read it, but a single solitary fly-by-night visit is better than none at all, so this knowledge warms me on the inside);

(b) As she's the blogger who's solely responsible for making me aware of the blogsphere over a year ago, I consider my site a younger sibling of hers, even if they look in no way similar and have different fathers. Maybe mine was adopted, or it's a foster site or something. Actually, mine's more likely to be the disowned poxy red-headed child who was left on someone else's doorstep as a six-month-old, but still. The lineage is there.

(c) She must think highly enough of me (if not of my actual blog) to have finally (after just three months of continual blogging on this site - not to mention leaving comments on her blog for two years now, give or take) added me as a link in her 'links' list. I made the grade! High-fives all round!

(d) Not only that, but she thinks SO highly of me, that I was able to make THE TOP TWENTY-ONE LINKS LISTED!! This is better than the treatment Cottontown received, who is listed as link # 22, and beats the pants off Roguemaze, who cuts a sad and lonely figure at link # 25. (Hahaha - suffer, Roguemaze!)

(e) I can get away with writing this because she's probably not going to read it anyway. Although if she does, and she strikes me from her list of links (or worse yet - drops me below Roguemaze!), I don't know how I'll live with myself.

Still, it's quite exciting! (And seriously, I don't mean to sound sarcastic. Amusingly self-depricating was what I was going for here.) I might take this opportunity to add links on my blog to all my 'blog friends' over the next couple of days.

Speaking of the next couple of days, that's when I said a Birthday Party Wrap-Up post would be coming, but it ain't. I'm still waiting on the picture of my birthday cake that a friend took for me to come shootin' through via email. Until it does, consider yourselves all on notice: Birthday Party Wrap-Up post to come at an unspecified date.



* What I mean is, our friendship is old - in a good, healthy, well-matured-although-completely-immature kind of way. I'm not saying that she's old. ... Oh, you know what I mean.

** I am yet to work out how to do this on my own blog.***

*** Actually, that's not true - I know full-well how to do it; I just have to make the time to add everyone all at once so I don't offend anyone by leaving them off the first attempt.****

**** Well, it's not actually as easy as that. I have to work out if I'm comfortable associating myself and my blog with some of the grotty stuff they write on their blogs.*****

***** I'm just being cheeky by saying that. Hmm, isn't five asterisks a little too much? Good point, I agree entirely. I'll stop this now.

10 Comments:

At Monday, August 29, 2005 3:55:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you've made it to the big time - maybe you'll get a write up on Foreign Correspindant one day

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 4:31:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Thanks George - your feedback means a lot to me, and it always has. I've especially appreciated your kind words to me following each year's Logies After Party. You've really known all the best insider gossip on the young stars of today.

I'm not sure I've heard of Foreign Correspindant, but if it's a spin-off from Foreign Correspondant, I look forward to seeing it.

In other news, I've just-this-minute updated my blogsite to show some of my 'friends' * linked on the right there as I said I'd try to do soon.

That was pretty soon, eh?

* I'm not sure what the use of the inverted commas there was meant to signify, but if you have any theories, feel free to let me know.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 6:45:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

ms fits has left exactly one comment on my blog here. but she popped up when i did something really quite special. which i guess meant someone told her about it, or she does look, but doesn't speak. you can check it out here
http://melbgirltakeonthings.blogspot.com/2005/07/what-do-you-look-like-when-you-come.html

and i will try not to feel superior. she hasn't however linked me. humpf!

but that's ok.

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 6:46:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

hey i just saw that you have linked me. that has put a smile on my face. it's like some dumb popularity contest isn't it??

yippeeee

 
At Monday, August 29, 2005 10:33:00 pm, Blogger Riss said...

Thanks, honey. The cheque's in the mail...

 
At Tuesday, August 30, 2005 9:25:00 am, Blogger BEVIS said...

MG, thanks for rubbing my face in it! (Or was that a bad choice of words?)

I'm not taking her lack of commenting to heart - I know she's a very busy woman with important stuff to do and her own brilliant blog to write. She probably reads us all when she can, and we should feel darn grateful for that, I say. :)

But I totally agree with you - it's a weird kind of popularity contest gone wrong, and it's all about the warm-fuzzies.

And what's the correct etiquette? If someone links to you, are you expected to link back to them?

Surely not; that would remove all element of free choice and legitimate preference from the idea of the link list. It's meant to be about the blogger's preferred sites, surely.

I hope my link doesn't appear on Ms Fits' site just because she feels obliged. I hope that she's read my blog, and she liked it (at least a little bit) ... and she feels obliged.

And then what happens if someone who linked you removes your link in a huff of resentment because you didn't link to them? It's so hard to know the Proper Ways to these things ...

 
At Tuesday, August 30, 2005 9:45:00 am, Blogger Melba said...

i agree i don't know what the etiquette is, but i tend to link back if i am linked. and with other ones, i just link ones i like or that are quirky for whatever reason

in my first list of links i had andrew landeryou. there is a story there. he is weirdly the reason i started blogging. him and ms fits, but not together mind you, quite, quite separately. read about both in the paper. tracked both down. her stuff i love. his, well how do i put it because he will probably pop up here to read this (he googles himself etc)

hi andrew - how's it going??

but well, we do not share the same political ideology. that's putting it politely.

then i removed his link a little while ago because i didn't want it putting people off who didn't know the backstory. if you know what i mean.

anyway, best go. nice to chat. you know, it's so funny. i DO feel like i'm talking to kermit. there's something very comforting in that.

have a great day

 
At Tuesday, August 30, 2005 11:07:00 am, Blogger la nadine said...

funniest. post. yet.

although i'm disappointed i didn't receive such excitment when i linked you.

what am i, chopped liver?

 
At Tuesday, August 30, 2005 11:16:00 am, Blogger elaine said...

I feel entirely special to have been included in the first round of loved-up-linkage.

Happy loving!

 
At Tuesday, August 30, 2005 11:21:00 am, Blogger BEVIS said...

Yeah, G'day there, Andrew.

MG: Then I guess the rule is that we should all link to whomsoever we jolly-well please, without having to suffer from any outside pressure from anyone else at all.

AS SOON AS YOU LINK TO ME!!

:)

Have a great day yourself.

La Nadine: I actually pondered whether or not to mention you in my post, but thought it had gone on long enough already.

Rest assured I had 'prepared material' based on you having linked to me previously, which - dammit - I will use now.

Stand by.

(BTW, that chopped liver line makes me smile whenever I hear it. I don't know why, but it does.)

Elaine: You're a chick and you're into pirates! How could I leave you off the list?

Plus, you're the very first person to leave a comment on my blog, and I don't forget these things. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home