I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Can I Get A Witness?

I was in a car accident on the way home from work yesterday.

Nothing serious (the guy on my right changed into my line without checking his blind spot first, resulting in him side-swiping me), but I've now got to go through the inconvenience of going without the car while it's getting fixed.

It's booked in for Friday morning, which means the weekend and probably most of next week will be a juggling act with my work, Wifey's uni course, and Sweetums' babysitting with Wifey's parents (all of which start at the same time in three very different places). We're gonna have to find a way to do all three things at once, somehow - using the one car.

I realise this isn't the worst thing in the world (people HAVE historically managed to get things done using just ONE car before - and then there's the whole "how did people survive before cars were invented?" philosophy), but that's really beside the point.

Our schedule is based on two cars, and two very different timetables that are independant of each other. So that makes this quite tough.

And considering the other driver was at fault (and admitted so - and I got him to sign a piece of paper for me stating so - and then a woman pulled over who'd witnessed it and had to do a massive U-turn further down the highway to come back and speak to us, which was very kind of her, who also stated the other guy was at fault ... so I should be okay with proving my innocence), it's just a huge hassle to have to go through the whole rigmorole again.

I had another not-at-fault car accident last year, you see. On the same highway. But that time, a woman ran into the back of me as I braked. She also admitted fault and I had to go without the car for about a week ... but Wifey wasn't at uni at the time, and Sweetums wasn't being babysat, so it was much easier just to use our other car to get to work.

I guess anyone who's been in an accident before (whether it was their fault or not) will understand the hassle of going without their car while it's being repaired.

But hey - it's not the end of the world. I was okay; the other guy was okay; there were no other people involved and no one became a casualty. So apart from the stupid woman who beeped at us when we pulled over on the side of the road (we weren't blocking her way or anything - what did she think we were doing? Settling down to have a picnic?!), there was no real need for any anxiety.

That didn't stop my hands from shaking for about an hour, though.

I don't think the other guy used his indicator, either. I certainly didn't see him indicate. I was just happily driving along, and then suddenly he was just trying to sit on my lap.

I actually reacted very well during the accident. I slammed on the brakes, which made the tyres squeal and alerted the other guy (who I should point out was driving a big van, as compared to my little car) that I was even there. I also swerved as much as I could over to the left, out of his way, because thankfully the lanes were kinda wide. He travelled with me a bit, though - partly because he'd already hit me and was perhaps caught in the side of my driver's door a bit, and partly because he was in the middle of his left-moving momentum. So I swerved to the left, but not dangerously so. We were probably doing 80km at the time, and if I'd swerved dangerously, or if it'd been a wet road, or if we'd been doing 100km, it might have been a very different story that ended with me smashed into a concrete barrier, or wrapped around a telegraph pole, or flipped over and over and rolled along the road or something. So I'm quite grateful that the accident ended so smoothly.

I'm also extremely grateful to the woman who travelled so far along the highway, turned around, travelled way back past us again, turned around, and then came back and stopped to offer herself as a witness. The guy in the van had his brother with him, so I figured if they decided to change their story later and try blaming me somehow, he'd had a witness and I wouldn't. That's why I asked him to sign the piece of paper (which he did, but I had no way of knowing if the signature meant anything - he said he didn't have his wallet on him so I couldn't check his details or signature ... my insurance company said it didn't matter because I had his brother's details instead and the licence plate). But until the woman turned up and gave me her details as well, I was worried that it was all going to come back and bite me on the arse.

(Yes, MG - I said "arse"!)

Thank the Lord for that wonderful, kind-hearted woman. How many of you would travel 5km out of your way to go another 5km backwards to stop at a pretty minor accident and leave your details? I'd like to say I'd do the same thing, but to be honest, on my way home to see Sweetums, I'd probably put it in the "Not My Problem" basket.

Well, not anymore. Not after this wonderful lady has done this for me. I'll be doing the same for someone else, if I ever witness an accident like that. No fear.

I'm just glad my Rating 1 hasn't been affected and I won't have to pay anything.

So that's my big story for the week.




I hope.


.

13 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 1:00:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have SHOT him in the FOOT.

Or should I not bring that up again?

 
At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 1:02:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

hey, i'm glad you're ok. i might do what the lady did. i've offered to be witness to 3 accidents recently, where i could see that it was one person's clear fault. two of those occasions the innocent driver was being harangued by the idiot and i stepped in. for one the police called me and asked me a few questions as there was a dispute - p-plate, bomb-driving innocent driver versus caulfield matron, flash car driver. the woman was being a cow. so i set the cops straight. the other one again was a poor mum trying to get her kid to school, i came upon the accident, didn't actually see it happen, but saw the position of the two cars in the street and the other person had swung out way too wide. the other person, a cranky butch lady set about trying to intimidate innocent driver, getting out her camera, taking photos of the road etc. so i wrote a letter of my statement for the nice woman. the last one just happened a few months ago, where a young girl driver ran into someone else, she drove through the path where he was turning. he was on an arrow, she was on a red light. she was so shaken up so we helped her, called the ambulance etc. the guy she'd hit was ok, but once i knew she was fine, i went up to the young guy and gave our details in case he needed a witness.

i guess this stems from me having been in an accident once, where i was stationary at lights, toddler princess in the back. it was friday 13th and rainy. some idiot crashed into us from the intersection. he hit 3 cars then finished at the pole. he got out, and took off. someone saw him being picked up by a 4WD within minutes of the collision. no one stopped him, and then of course the next day the car at fault was reported stolen, so the owner had no responsibility. i had let my comprehensive insurance lapse a couple of months before. so i had to pay to get my car fixed. luckily i had a wonderful friend who lent me her car indefinitely while mine was being fixed.

and you did say a***

see, i can't even bring myself to say it on your blog.

respect.

 
At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 1:29:00 pm, Blogger meva said...

A good thing it wasn't worse, but it's still a hassle. Did you get the shakes afterwards?

My car was hit by a car that was running a red light once, that then did a runner. Just about everyone else within earshot stopped to make sure I was okay, but noone got her number plate. The cops did catch up with her at a later date though.

 
At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 1:34:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

SBR, that made me laugh out loud! Very good call! You can certainly feel free to bring that story up anytime you like; I have no problem there.

MelbourneGirl, wow! That's seriously a contender for The Longest Comment Of The Year Award ™. Thank you for taking the time to say so much. I love a long comment (seriously - I hope I'm not coming across as facetious). Sounds like you'd definitely be the sort to turn around and come back to leave your details at the scene of an accident. You're a good soul; well done. I'm glad Toddler Princess was unharmed on that fateful day. I also appreciate your respect/restraint/good humour. x

Meva, as the song says, I was "shakin' all over". Well, my hands were a little shakey, anyway. It was nothing too major, though. I'm glad that woman who hit your car was caught eventually. Did that mean you didn't have to pay for the repairs to your car? Or was it too late? Hopefully you were reimbursed in some way.

 
At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:45:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that you are ok and that it wasn`t too serious but still I can understand that it can be a pain in the arse (Am I allowed to say arse?) No matter how small the accident it always shakes you up! Again, glad nobody was injured.

What you need is a mamachari. A bicycle that mama`s use...(Papa`s can use them too!) See http://hanshin-now.com/upload/blog/post/mamachari.jpg for example! It will help you, wifey and sweetums get from place to place.


I forget how crap not having a car in australia can be...the public transport system sucks. I know it sucks and I used to work for Queensland Transport and we all thought it sucked!

Hope your car comes back better than new!

 
At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:52:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

what are you talking about? i've left comments around the traps that are WAY LONGER.

for a sec. i thought meva and i were in same accident at red light but no, my absconder was male.

 
At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:41:00 pm, Blogger Mars said...

witnesses usually don't matter in the case of an insurance claim. we clever (boring) insurance types can usually tell who was at fault by the damage on the car.

if you were merging into the van, bevis, your damage would be quite different i'd say.

anyway, glad you are ok etc... and the other guy too i suppose. (hate hate hate white vans.. ooh, and 4x4s.. EVIL ooh, and taxis too - they're all shit)

 
At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:45:00 pm, Blogger Iris Flavia said...

I just had my first car accident ever and it even was my fault..
Luckily I have colleagues who don´t live that far away and so I had a lift everyday 'til I got my car back. It wasn´t my usual time schedule but far less stressy than trying to use public transport.
Btw Since it wasn´t your fault can´t you claim to get on a rental car?

 
At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 10:11:00 pm, Blogger Riss said...

Can you get the train?

We could save you a seat!

:)

 
At Saturday, March 24, 2007 10:59:00 am, Blogger Chai said...

Am very glad to hear you are unhurt. I was T-boned by a mobile-phone-using P-plater who ran a redlight.
I could have killed her if I hadnt accelerated. Yes, I've a blog entry on that episode.

 
At Saturday, March 24, 2007 1:20:00 pm, Blogger Jen said...

I used to work in car insurance, there is a couple of options ( more or less depending on your company's policy) in terms of getting a car while yours is off the road.

If you want some more info just email me and I will explain it, I don't want to bore anyone unecessarily with the details, but the options aren't always something they won't always mention to you over the phone so it might be helpful? :)

 
At Wednesday, April 04, 2007 4:28:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just two small points - first you are obliged to stop at an accident if you witness it - it's one of those things that is never enforced, but should be done precisely for the reason you outline in your little tale. Secondly, I'm guessing you're a pedantic soul like myself, so you'll understand me saying it's "rigmarole" not "rigmorole". I appreciate you using the word though.

 
At Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:25:00 am, Blogger BEVIS said...

Lulu, you’re allowed to say arse. :) I’m not sure if a mamachari would be the way to go, but we’ll consider it (very briefly), okay? The car is back, now – and yes, it’s better than new!

MelbourneGirl, yeah, but I meant on one of MY blogs. That’s the longest you’ve ever left for me. Excluding that Neighbours recap you did for me once.

Mars, you’re in insurance, eh? You’d be a good person to know. (What am I talking about? You’re a good person to know anyway!)

Iris Flavia, welcome! It’s a good thing that you have colleagues so close to home who could help out! As for the rental car thing, I had that option, but it would have cost me $35 a day when what I wanted to pay was $0. So we got by without it.

Riss, no – don’t be silly. Have we met??

Chai, mobile phone users (behind the wheel) get me SO MAD!! I beep and flash my lights at drivers who’re talking on their phones while they’re driving. They deserve to be booked (and fined severely) for risking everyone else’s lives so flagrantly, ludicrously and unnecessarily. Don’t get me started.

DelightfulJen, thank you so much for the offer. I didn’t mean to ignore your kind words of wisdom and advice, but a workmate ended up loaning me her (new!) car for the week once she heard my tale of woe – and she drove her Mum’s car to work instead! It was very kind of her, so I didn’t need a rental or to use public transport or anything. Because I hadn’t paid the optional extra on my insurance to enable me to hire a rental car at a reduced rate, it would have cost me the proper rental price, so it wasn’t worth it. I asked about it at the time, so I knew the options. I just didn’t want the hassle of paying money for a car when I wasn’t the one at fault for my car being off the road. I reckon the person responsible for the crash should pay the other person’s car rental fees – it’s all about them inconveniencing the innocent party and preventing them from living their life as hassle-free as they would have if they HADN’T crashed into them!

FairyDust, thank you for the correction. You’re right; I’m a pedant. And to prove it: It should be ‘second’, not the more commonly used (but universally incorrect) ‘secondly’. :) Not trying to sound rude – I’m just being cheeky!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home