I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

It's Common Sense, Actually

In the past two weeks of Ms Fits' Friday Q&A, and in the comments to my previous post, there STILL seems to be some confusion (or in at least one case, rebellion) as to how to correctly pronounce and think-pronounce my Blogger moniker, "BEVIS".

So in the interests of NOT PISSING ME OFF (remember, I really hate being called Beavis, and I'm not joking), allow me to take a moment to break it down for you and show you how strange and bizarre your misconception actually is.


-------------------------


The word "BEVIS" is pronounced "Beh-viss". If that's not how you already thought it should be pronounced, then the word you're thinking of is spelt "Beavis".

Mine is actually the logical pronunciation; I'm amazed at how many people think it should be pronounced "Beavis". Look at these words for comparison:

Bevy of beauties
Beverage
Beverly
Tax levy
I drove my Chevy to the levy, but the levy was dry
Crevice

None of those words are pronouced as if they have an A before the V. Whereas:

Beaver
Heave
Leave
Weave

Remember the basic primary school rule? "An E on the end makes the vowel in the middle say its name." That's why "heave", "leave" and "weave" all require the EA to sound like you're saying the letter E by its name. However, "BEVIS" has no E on the end for the same rule to apply; therefore making the E in "BEVIS" to be pronounced "eh".

Therefore I repeat: Anyone who thinks "BEVIS" should be pronounced as "Beavis" will henceforth be referred to as "Butt-Head".

It's quite simple, really - so get it right, people. DON'T MAKE ME COME OVER THERE, etc.

(But I still love youse all.)


.

6 Comments:

At Thursday, March 01, 2007 11:59:00 am, Blogger meva said...

I always thought it was Bevis not Beavis or Beevis.

But what of Meva? Is it Meava as in cleaver or Meva as in never? 'Cos Eva is as in lever (leaver?). Or is that lever as in never?

Whoa! I'm confusing myself!

 
At Thursday, March 01, 2007 12:05:00 pm, Blogger Aussie Rock Chick said...

I guess you can call me Butt-Head then... but that's Butt-Heed to you!

In other completely unrelated news I have two words for you. Puppet Up!

Excited?

 
At Thursday, March 01, 2007 4:47:00 pm, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

OK, crevice it is.

 
At Friday, March 02, 2007 10:11:00 am, Blogger Javatari said...

Anyone who thinks it's pronounced BEAvis, is an idiot.

 
At Monday, March 05, 2007 12:52:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might be behind the rest of the crowd... but what does the name mean? Where did it come from?

 
At Monday, March 05, 2007 1:22:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Meva, that's a good question. Now I don't know how i should think-pronounce your name!

Aussie Rock Chick / Butt-Head, thank you - I've seen the ads on TV and in the paper, but somehow the idea of adult-themed Muppets leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It's all about reliving my childhood, for me ... so having an R-rated version of them just feels wrong. Sorry if that disappoints. Thanks for the link!

Clokeeeey, thank you. That's how I like it. :)

Javatari, I think "idiot" might be a bit harsh, but I appreciate the support. :)

Enny, is it an acronym? Is it my name? Is it a private joke? Is it something else entirely? I've never said, but I have always insisted that it be written in all caps ... and that's as much of a clue as I'll ever say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home