I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Feeling Quite Resolute

I surprised Wifey yesterday morning by telling her I'd made some New Year's Resolutions last night.*

I don't normally do the 'resolutions' thing. I think if there's something you need or want to change about yourself, just do it. Don't wait for some kind of unrealistic "fresh start" moment that means nothing more than another other moment, and then generally leads to you breaking the resolution within the first nine days (or so research tell us ... okay, I just made that up).

That being said, I've decided to use the wholly significant moment that is the start of the new year to re-assess my life and determine some of the things I want to change. Hypocritical? Pah!

In no particular order:


(1) Eat less sugar. I'm not sure just how I'm going to monitor this (and you'll notice the entirely immeasurable variable of the word 'less' I've used in the phrase ... call it my insurance), but it's my intention not to die of diabetes if I can help it. Fewer doughnuts; not as much chocolate; in fact, just cut back on the junk food in general. And I really love my junk food, so it'll feel like it's killing me ... but that's better than it actually killing me.

(2) Drink less cola. Whether it's Coke, Pepsi, Aldi, Brewster's, Australia's Choice or any other cola brand you care to mention (except Schweppes Cola, which is toilet water), I tend to drink cola like it's going out of style. You may recall me referring to it on this blog as "mother's milk to me" (a quote I've lifted from My Fair Lady and use in regular conversation; even asking my father-in-law at the Christmas dinner table to pass the Mother's Milk). I guess there are worse things I could be drinking to excess (alcohol, for one ... toilet water, for another ... even lighter fluid would rate a mention, there), but I'm almost embarrassed to tell you how much of the 'black gold' liquid I've been drinking lately. Suffice it to say that I'm going to cut back to two cans a day (yes, cut back to two cans a day! And that's just to help me get through the day at work as my caffiene injection). Let's leave the question of how-much-cola-I've-been-drinking-lately right there. I guess my intention would be to reduce the two cans a day maximum even further in time, but let's not get carried away too soon, people. And a bit of context before you all lay into me: I don't drink any alcohol, and I don't drink tea or coffee either (making a "coffee break" at work nothing more than grabbing a can of soft drink). The only exception to the "no more than two cans a day" restriction would be when we're having 'junk food' for our evening meal (pizza, fish & chips, hamburgers, etc). You know, the kind of food that lends itself to a glass of Coke on the side. I have opted instead to drink juice whenever I would ordinarily have drunk cola - but I'll be sure to watch the sugar intake on the pre-packaged juices we buy, or else I'll be blowing my first resolution!

(3) Get back to reading other peoples' blogs like I used to. Nothing much to add to that, except my apologies that my attendance on your blogs has been noticeably lacking recently. New child and all that, but I don't want to play that card all the time for everything. I've been busy, yes - but hopefully I'll be able to get back into the swing of things.

(4) Use more semi-colons. This one isn't actually for me; I use semi-colons properly and I'm quite satisfied with my performance in that area. It's just that I always notice other people using commas where there should really be a semi-colon, so no longer will I stand idly by and let this happen without comment. Prepare to get really pissed off with me.

(5) Stay current. Oh, that reminds me. The 'Merry Christmas' post I promised you before I went on holidays the other week should be up here any day now. And my review on the final episode of Thank God You're Here's second season (on my TV blog) isn't too far off, either. *heehee*


So there they are. The first two are probably going to have many of you disgusted with me, but hey - better late than never. And the best part (for me, anyway), is that I didn't need anyone to come down hard on me in any way and force or pressure me into making these decisions. I made them myself without anyone saying anything, and that's probably the only way I'll have any chance of sticking with them.

So, if it's not too personal (and it hasn't been done elsewhere on the blogosphere already), what New Year's Resolutions have you made for 2007?




* Then, by way of counterbalance, Wifey turned around and surprised me, by announcing that she is considering possibly starting up her own blog. Nothing concrete yet, but I'll keep you posted on developments. (I think she's just trying to find a way to wrestle me away from the computer a couple of hours a day.)


.

14 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 02, 2007 1:01:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the whole new years resolution thing because I'm very "all or nothing" - so it's good to have a concrete set start date.

I've resolved to eat healthier which should bring in some weight loss, and I do plan to gym more (this has a 3 month minimum on it as I have to 'maid of honour' at the end of March and need to fit into the dress!), but other than that I just plan to enjoy my year!

I may also try for the less caffiene thing - I start each workday with a Redeye and drink a fair bit of Pepsi otherwise... I lasted 36 hours without caffiene and caved due to the headach, so I'll be slooowly scaling it down!

 
At Tuesday, January 02, 2007 1:22:00 pm, Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

according to my myspace bulletin that i sent out earlier this morning...

to anyone who tried to cheer me up, thankyou
to anyone who was annoyed by my tears, sorry
to all who danced with me these past months, thankyou
to all the wonderful new people i have met, hello, and thankyou for being my friend

my new years resolutions:

to be a pipette
to let go of things that hurt me
to find, not look for, someone who loves me and who i can love back

i hope 007 is good for all of you
i hope there are more smiles than tears

and im always around for talking and hugs

love carly
xx

...thats my plan

 
At Tuesday, January 02, 2007 3:36:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Bevis

My new years resolutions are:-

- to be more positive (particularly about myself)
- to be more active
- to procrastinate less

It's 3.35 on Jan 2 and all's well so far....

 
At Tuesday, January 02, 2007 5:40:00 pm, Blogger Mars said...

the cola will kill you. i was addicted to Diet Coke until this year... it was really hard and i got The Worst Headaches Ever withdrawing... so i guess that's gotta tell you how bad the stuff really is. i recommend giving it up completely, i don't even like the stuff now, and i used to live for it. Diet Coke and 2 panadol used to be my breakfast - how bad is that!!

good luck with your other resolutions too :)

 
At Tuesday, January 02, 2007 7:58:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not wanting to put you off your resolutions, but you'll be glad to know that excess sugar consumption is not a cause for type 2 diabetes, generally obesity and physical inactivity are the main causes (combined with genetic factors); high levels of fat in the diet are probably more of a concern. It's only once you have diabetes (type 2) that controlling your sugar intake comes into it. Although, lots of sugar does equal lots of kilojoules and hence it could lead to obesity and increase your risk of type 2 diabetes, so it's definitely a good resolution, and cutting back on the cola will help this, but from your cartoon picture on your blog, I can only assume you have no problems there. So no need to freak out

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2007 11:28:00 am, Blogger Cherry! said...

Hmmmm. Resolutions? To crotch watch more (if that's possible) and to blog more frequently. I've slacked off in the last few months by way of posting and reading.

And to keep up my life long committment to getting a bit of girth as often as possible.

Happy new year Bevis!

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2007 3:04:00 pm, Blogger Javatari said...

I like the semi-colon; resolution; cause; I'm; pretty; sure; I'll; make; you; very; angry; with my latest blog post. How the hell do you use a semi-colon anyway? Please create a 'how-to' on this issue, cause I always found English insanely boring.

Also, I have a Muppet question for you!....What is a Muppet? Just kidding, the real question is, who was the only magician (that I know of) to appear on the Muppet show?

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2007 4:41:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

hey bevis. i like your resolutions, especially the one about semi colons. re the cola one though, when you try to excuse the fact that you have alot of cola by saying that you don't drink tea or coffee, or alcohol; as if they are vices equal to the cola vice; it kind of doesn't work because, excluding alcohol; let's talk about coffee/tea break things at work; because you don;t drink alcohol at work ;i don't think; then the amount of sugar, relating to your first resolution; is MUCH H;GHER in cola than in tea or coffee. especially if you drink coffee or tea without sugar, which some people do.

and as for the other news, GO WIFEY i hope she makes a blog. and as for you, GO YOU with all your resolutions, i am behind you. really. i think soft drinks are pure evil, but then i drink alcohol, so i can't really say anything much can i?

 
At Thursday, January 04, 2007 12:03:00 am, Blogger Mars said...

i need semi-colon usage attention please.

 
At Friday, January 05, 2007 10:22:00 am, Blogger Melba said...

clearly javatari and i have some sort of freaky psychic connexion, don't you think? either that or we are both just incredibly innovative comedians. or both.

 
At Friday, January 05, 2007 11:27:00 am, Blogger BEVIS said...

My money's on "both".

"re the cola one though, when you try to excuse the fact that you have alot of cola by saying that you don't drink tea or coffee, or alcohol; as if they are vices equal to the cola vice; it kind of doesn't work because, excluding alcohol; let's talk about coffee/tea break things at work; because you don;t drink alcohol at work ;i don't think; then the amount of sugar, relating to your first resolution; is MUCH H;GHER in cola than in tea or coffee. especially if you drink coffee or tea without sugar, which some people do."

I wasn't comparing the sugar from cola to the sugar in tea/coffee ... that was purely to explain that as a "caffeine injection" in the mornings or when mid-afternoon weariness moves in (as it does to us all at one time or another), due to the fact that I don't drink tea or coffee, I choose to instead drink a can of Coke (or similar) to 'wake me up' and get me moving ... in the same way coffee drinkers drink a cappuccino (or similar), or uni students drink a Red Bull (or similar), or drug addicts shoot themselves up with coccaine (or similar). Harmless.

The point about my sugar intake is completely separate, although equally important.


"i think soft drinks are pure evil, but then i drink alcohol, so i can't really say anything much can i?"

And yet; look at you go!

Hehe.

 
At Friday, January 05, 2007 11:30:00 am, Blogger BEVIS said...

And many thanks to Anonymous for setting my mind to rest about the nature of my diabetes risk.

The cartoon image of me on my blog is not to scale, although I'm certainly not HUGE of stomach or overly rotund of figure. Cheers.

 
At Saturday, January 06, 2007 11:14:00 am, Blogger Melba said...

hehe, that was restrained my dear. look after yourself, your body is your temple. these are the things i am learning, albeit later, but better late than never.

check out good health by dr carol hungerford (i think) it's amazing.

 
At Saturday, January 06, 2007 2:32:00 pm, Blogger gigglewick said...

Bevis,

I have great news for you. Phoenix Organics from New Zealand make an

ORGANIC, CAFFEINE FREE COLA!!!

It has less sugar that coke and believe it or not even tastes nicer.

Okay, so it costs $3.50 per bottle and you can't actually get it at Sev's, but it is an awesome awesome taste sensation and you might even forget it has no caffeine if you're lucky.

Good luck with the resolutions.

GW

 

Post a Comment

<< Home