I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Look What I Made

Okay, it's time I put you all out of your misery and just told you about my newborn child. Hopefully this post will settle your curious minds.

So you want to know the story, eh? Well, it's a long tale, so sit back and pour yourself a drink. We may be here a while.

As you know, I am fiercely private online, preferring to dwell in the murky depths of anonymity rather than reveal my real name or post any pictures of Wifey or myself on this blog. Those facts being very firmly established, here's a photo of me holding my newborn child, as depicted through The Magic Of The Muppets:




As you can see, my offspring has my eyes. (And my webbed feet.)

But our tale actually begins on Wednesday night, shortly after watching Thank God You're Here (TGYH). My Dad rang us from Sydney, and amongst other things, mentioned that the following day was the anniversary of Grandpa’s passing (thirty years earlier). Knowing that the middle name we had coincidentally already secretly planned to give our baby if he turned out to be a boy was my grandfather’s name, I remained calm, got off the phone, and then immediately ordered a hot curry for Wifey so we could bring on the labour! Partly naming our son (if we had a boy) after my deceased grandfather was one thing, but how much more significant would it be if we could forevermore say that the kid was born on the ‘deathday’ of his partial namesake? Well, it was worth a try. If we ended up having a girl, we were now considering keeping the middle name to commemorate the date, because it’s sort of a unisex name.

Sure enough, by 9:30pm on Wednesday night, Wifey started having contractions, but it was early days yet (and could still have possibly turned out to be a false alarm). However, the contractions continued throughout the night and by 6am Thursday we were heading off to the hospital. Upon admittance, Wifey was discovered to be one centimetre dilated (as some of you will know, it’s roughly a centimetre an hour and birth doesn’t occur until you’ve reached ten centimetres) so it looked like being a long day.

An hour and a half later, things were picking up considerably. One of the doctors had manually broken Wifey’s waters, they had determined that the baby was covered in its own meconium in the womb, a pediatrician was standing by for the birth to ensure that the meconium wouldn’t be a concern, the contractions were hitting ‘the big league’, and the gas Wifey was using was having no effect because she was taking it incorrectly!

This meant that she back-flipped on her initial plan not to have pethodine during the birth, and the midwife explained that there really was no reason to avoid pethodine anyway. Satisfied with the explanation the midwife had given us, and knowing the pain she was experiencing, Wifey relented to having a pethodine injection. Suddenly, she was six centimetres dilated (only two hours after being one centimetre), and her parents (who were there as a secondary support system and to give me an occasional break from the mayhem – which was all at Wifey’s request) were ushered out of the room by the nurses who clearly knew things were getting serious rather more quickly than expected.

It was around this time that Wifey told me – between contractions – to find an envelope in the side pocket of her overnight bag in the corner. Not knowing anything about this, I had a look and discovered that it contained a letter Wifey had written me with the strict instructions; “Not to be opened until I am in labour”. I nearly cried when I read it. She apologised in advance for anything hurtful or offensive she said to me during the birth, and assured me that she loved me very much. She said that anything she screamed at me over the next several hours is only because of the pain she’ll be in, and not because she feels anything other than absolute love for me. She made it clear that if she tells me to get away from her when I try to help, she doesn’t mean it and it’s just the pain talking. Instead, she asked me to take the letter as gospel and stay by her side throughout the process, even if she screams blue murder at me to get out. She underlined that she wanted us both to share in this amazing experience together and she said how happy she was that I’m the father of her child.

What a superwoman.

In no time at all, the midwife announced that Wifey was ‘ready’. It had only been two hours since she was six centimetres, so this rapidly-escalating process at least kept things moving along and got us through the whole thing much sooner than expected!

Wifey soon found herself unable to control the need to push through her contractions, and she raised the roof with her screams. Yes, it was very hard to watch her in so much pain, but it would have been even harder if I had to endure it myself. I’m not about to complain about my own distress and discomfort when she was going through so much agony and fear. I’m just not going to do it. Apples and oranges? Try a vintage apple tree versus orange-flavoured lifesavers (she’s the two-hundred-year-old tree and I’m the two-dollar lolly, just so you get the intended perspective). The midwife taught Wifey how to push correctly (it’s not as easy as you’d presume, is it ladies!), and from then on she went through the entire birth without making another sound. And that includes everything that follows.

She simply took big breaths and strained, but did not yell or scream or call me names. Nothing like that at all. She said later that this was only because she didn’t have the breath to scream and call me names, but the point is she was doing it brilliantly and perfectly. The midwife was highly impressed. And to think I’d been steeling myself to receive a barrage of insults that simply never came! What a superwoman.

The doctors and nurses in attendance started increasing, and we went from one of each to two doctors, three nurses and a student (when asked an hour earlier if Wifey minded a student attending to watch the birth, her answer was a short, “I don’t care, just get this thing out of me!”). And without warning, the baby’s head was crowning. We were there. The moment had arrived. It was nearly over. The end was in sight.

None of those things was true, but we didn’t realise it at the time.

The midwife told Wifey to push with all her strength, hold it, take a big breath, and keep pushing. I don’t know how she handled it, or where she was drawing her strength. I stood there, holding her hand, dabbing her forehead with a damn cloth, holding the back of her head so her chin was on her chest for each push, and kept assuring her that she was doing a great job. It wasn’t hard to say such things, because I was truly blown away by the job she was doing.

Suddenly, I was introduced to my new “Most Hated Word In The English Language EVER”: Episiotomy. The sound of the scissors cutting through my wife’s nether regions as if a seamstress was snipping away at a piece of material with those thick ‘snippy’ scissors made my knees go weak, and had me even more amazed that Wifey’s only reaction was to stare unseeingly at the wall (she wasn’t doped out, either). I can’t imagine the pain.

A few more pushes later, and they had the head out. It was very brown, with lots of (seemingly) black hair, but I knew that could just be the meconium at work. Either way, it was a much larger head than anyone had predicted. It also turned out that the baby had its arms crossed in front of its chest (as if it was folding its arms in attitude – that’s my baby!), and the midwife immediately set to work helping the doctors pull the baby out of Wifey. We were told later that it’s a good thing the episiotomy had been done when it had, because otherwise it would have had to be done at this point, which would have slowed down the birth and resulted in further – and far graver – complications later.

The baby, looking very brown indeed (was I really the father?) was unceremoniously pulled from Wifey’s body and placed on her abdomen so they could cut the ambilical cord and scoot the bub across to the waiting pediatrician on his nearby table so he could ensure that the meconium had caused no problems.

I looked down at my (surprisingly large) child and saw its gender for the first time. As it was my ‘role’ to announce the sex of the baby, I immediately turned to a relieved and exhausted Wifey and said, “Guess what it is!” My excitement must have given me away (I was hoping for a boy all along – but would also have been delighted with a girl), because she smiled and asked, “Is it a boy?” Instead of saying yes, I confirmed it with the name we’d chosen for a son, “It’s a Sweetums!” *

* Not the baby’s actual name.

We were delighted! We had both hoped that we’d start our family with a son. But our happiness took a quick stab in the guts when I heard the pediatrician turn to a nurse and say, “Call it.” She ran around the bed to the phone on the wall and dialed someone. We could immediately sense the seriousness and urgency of the matter.

Then I suddenly had a new “Most Hated Phrase In The English Language EVER” to join the “Most Hated Word”, and that was: Pediatric Code Blue.

In other words: “Oops, this baby’s not breathing. Hurry, everyone. Run in and see if you have any ideas on what we can do about this.”

Wifey’s parents were by now seated in the waiting room (it had been around an hour since they were sent packing from the birthing suite), and panicked when they heard “Pediatric Code Blue to Birthing Suite 6” repeated across the hospital PA system, immediately followed by doctors and nurses of all sorts sprinting past them for our room as if their lives depended on it. Unfortunately, it would be another twenty minutes or more until someone thought to tell them what was going on, so they were left to sit and stew in their own juices with no further information for all that time.

Meanwhile, Wifey and I could hear the PA system announcement as well, and we looked at each other in dread. “It’s alright,” I told her reassuringly, “they know what they’re doing”. This helped prevent her from panicking, and she returned to what the doctors and nurses around her were dealing with (placenta, bleeding, stitching, etc). However, although Wifey was blissfully unaware of the issues on the pediatrician’s table across the room, I was all-too-aware, as the twenty or so medical personnel flooded into the room, rushed up to the baby, and immediately used a pump on his mouth in an effort to resuscitate him. It was a very long few minutes while they worked on him and I watched, trying desperately not to let the fear and panic show on my face (because Wifey was taking her cues of what was happening from me).

As the doctor who delivered the baby started working on fixing Wifey up, the other doctors crowding around Sweetums and worked on getting him to breathe. It only took a few moments, but they were the longest few moments of my life. It started with them wiping him down and revealing a very grey and blue complexion underneath the brown muck. Grey is okay (he hasn’t had any sunshine, after all!), but blue is bad news. They finally got him breathing, then put him in an oxygen-incubator thing, but he was taken away for tests shortly thereafter.

I got to sit with him in the ICU ward (hugging and talking to him for over twenty minutes) while Wifey was being ‘seen to downstairs’ downstairs, and the pediatrician was called away to another emergency birth. When he finally returned, he was immediately called away again, so he told me to take Sweetums down to Wifey until he was free again. As Wifey was GBS positive (if you don’t know what that means, I’m not going to enlighten you), it meant Sweetums needed another bout of injections to ensure that his vitals and levels and other such things were okay. He also needed a one-time shot of antibiotics. And when the pediatrician finally returned and took him away for his (by that time) long-overdue tests, it meant Sweetums didn’t get his first feed for four-and-a-half hours after his birth.

By that point, his blood-sugar levels had also dropped, so all of these things combined to mean that the staff wanted to keep him in the ICU ward for observation for a few days, just to make sure everything leveled out the way it was supposed to.

And it did, but the intervening time caused some heartache for Wifey in particular, who was on level 5 and in considerable pain from being sewn up, while her baby was on level 2 and plugged into the wall. We got to see him often enough, but while I was able to walk in there whenever I felt like it and in relative comfort, for Wifey it was a whole different situation with a wheelchair and someone to assist her each time. I didn’t stay at the hospital, but I was there until 10pm each night and back again at 8am or 9am the next day. Throughout it all, Wifey was as strong as I’ve ever seen her, being understanding and patient with everyone and everything even though she’d easily just been through the most horrific experience of her life. What a superwoman.

My parents (as well as my 99-year-old Grannie, my sister and my brother-in-law) all traveled down by car, setting off when I rang them at 6am to tell them we were off to the hospital, so they all managed to arrive late on the day of Sweetums’ birth for a cuddle. (I should point out that Wifey’s parents, her sister and brother-in-law were all present for a cuddle as soon as visitors were allowed into the birthing suite following Wifey’s “stitching”. They were all very relieved to hear that the Pediatric Code Blue had been resolved happily.) Only my brother was unable to make the trip to meet his new (and first) nephew, but he’ll be making it up to Sweetums when he comes down to Melbourne for the Pearl Jam gigs in November.

To top it all off, Saturday 7th October was Wifey’s birthday. Unlike last year, I was unable to prepare a whole host of surprises for her – but both sets of parents transpired to throw her an impromptu birthday party in the maternity ward (by first apologising to the woman sharing the room and asking if she minded, which of course she didn’t). Chocolate cake, balloons, a HAPPY BIRTHDAY sign along the curtain rail, drinks and so on made it a birthday she’ll never forget.

Late Saturday she received the best birthday present she could ever hope to get: Sweetums was released from the ICU and permitted to spend the night with Wifey in her room. By midday Monday I’d picked them both up (as each of them had been given the ‘all clear’ by the doctors) and brought them home.

We’ve been spending the time since feeding him, changing him, cuddling him, and watching him sleep. I’ve been told that it’s a full time commitment to look after a baby … and I agree. Just admiring him and how wonderful he is is a full time commitment!

The real name we gave Sweetums includes the planned middle name, taken from my Grandpa’s name. Grannie was delighted to hear that her late husband had been honoured in the naming of her first great-grandchild. Dad was chuffed, too (because Grandpa was his Dad). I’m just happy we have a healthy baby.

As I type this, Wifey is asleep on the couch. She spent a goodly portion of the day attending to Sweetums’ every need. She is an absolutely bloody marvel, that woman. So generous, so giving, so tireless, so loving.

What a supermum.


---------------------------------------------------


Here are the reasons I’ve decided to call my son ‘Sweetums’ on the blogosphere: He’s large, was brown and hairy when I first saw him, is utterly cute and adorable beyond words, has a gorgeous and generous temperament, and is simply unforgettable. That’s good enough for me, because it also describes his Muppet namesake.


The "original" Sweetums.
And look! He's holding a little BEVIS!



---------------------------------------------------


And now it’s time for the real photos. I hope you enjoy them.

There's gonna be a RATE MY OFFSPRING post over on Ms Fits' blog at some point soon (I've sent her the pics but of course it's up to her when she chooses to post them), so feel free to contribute to that rating event when it happens.

Adam will also feature an exclusive interview with Sweetums in the next few days (again, I don't know his 'publishing schedule', but he's a pretty excitable guy, so I'm sure he'll get onto it pretty quickly when I send him Sweetums' answers shortly).

With regards to the following photos, although it’s not my usual custom, if you click on these pics and open them in a new window, you can view them at a high resolution if you so desire.





Sweetums having his first bath.
Still unsure about it at this stage.




No, okay - he's decided.
He doesn't like it!




Wifey's hospital bed was watched
over by a 'special' guardian angel.




Already goofing off for the camera.
Like father, like son.




BEVIS meeting his son for the first time.




BEVIS kissing his son for the first time.




BEVIS patting his son for the first time.




Sweetums hugging his new toy.
That's not a yawn; he's squealing like a gutted pig.




For the family album (and Sweetums' 21st).




Great-grandma and great-grandson.
There's more than 99 years between them,
but they're almost the same height.




Listening to his first walkman.
"My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard ..."




Gorgeous and settled, with a mini-Kermit for comfort.




Rugged up for a good night's sleep.
How precious!




The only thing left to point out is that Sweetums is definitely the best thing that's ever happened to me, and Wifey is the most amazing person I've ever met. Of course I have a newfound respect, admiration and love for my own parents, and a far better understanding of what parents worldwide (since the dawn of time) have gone through to give their kids the best. But most of all, Sweetums likes to grip my thumb (ONLY mine) with his tiny little hand, and he likes cuddles with Daddy at 2am.

... which suits me just fine.


.

53 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:23:00 pm, Blogger magical_m said...

Oh Bevis, he's beautiful!!

Welcome Sweetums! I expect you'll be dictating your reviews of all things tv related to your father very soon and I particularly look forward to hearing your opinions on the remaining Australian Idol contestants.

 
At Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:38:00 pm, Blogger Chai said...

Well done. Give the little monster a kiss from me.
ps
this birth story popped into my head..

""Out you popped, out of your mummie's tumkin and everybody shouting, "It's a boy, it's a boy!" And somebody said, "But it hasn't got a winkle!" And then I said "A boy without a winkle? God be praised, it's a miracle. A boy without a winkle!" And then Sir Thomas More pointed out that a boy without a winkle is a girl, and everyone was really disappointed."
""" - Nursie

 
At Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:48:00 pm, Blogger Riss said...

Awh, so cute! Many congratulations again, my friends. I look forward to seeing you soon.

 
At Tuesday, October 10, 2006 10:29:00 pm, Blogger thr said...

Well played BEVIS crew. In the end, the success was down to was down the B-man and Wifey writing down their plan and bloody sticking to it.
In the premiership quarter it looked like Wifey was a little dazed and confused, but with victory in sight, she made that lunge for the cup...

great game!!

thomasr
PS he's mercifully not as green as papa...

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 1:21:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just amazing and beautiful. Well done to both you and Wifey. Your recount was absolutely captivating.

A real blog-baby, eh? Has he had the chance to get a blogger account yet? You know, blogging is a great way to learn the alphabet.

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 4:59:00 am, Blogger I'm not Craig said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 5:04:00 am, Blogger I'm not Craig said...

I think my last comment got lost in cyberspace somewhere so lets try again....


A huge congratulations and "oh yay!!!!"

Sweetums is absolutely gorgeous and he clearly has a great future ahead. He obviously has two truly amazing parents who love him, and it does not get any better than that.

Being married to a superwoman is a wonderful thing. However, I do feel that if you go through a whole labour without even one "You knocked me up you bastard" it's somehow not complete (I know this because my Honey Bear said this duing only one of her two labours)

I am too excited for words right now.

*does a happy dance that is surprisingly energetic for 5.00am*

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:43:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done all!

Bevis, you made me cry. What a wonderful Wifey you have there, I'm so glad you realise it.

Sweetums is a real cutie.

And the delay in posting? I thought you were just hanging out on us to see how many more hits you could get on your blog (did you happen to note the count when you posted your "We are go" post?)

Go well!!!

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:58:00 am, Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

that was freaking amazing. firstly, that i managed to read that without scrolling down and cheating, secondly that i said 'freaking' instead of swearing, and thirdly, because you and wifey are so freaking amazing, and look! incase you havent noticed, you have a tiny little person that you made all by yourselves!

well done to all of you
xxxxx

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 8:12:00 am, Blogger Fluffy said...

Beautiful, Bevis and Wifey. Well done! A few tense moments there but all's well that ends well.

xxx

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 9:53:00 am, Blogger Adam said...

Did no one else nearly have a heart attack? I have to admit, I was really quite worried there for a couple of minutes, which obviously was nothing compared to the chaos you were going through, good writing dude, I really can't tell you enough how appreciative I am that you let us share all the moments and how much I laughed at you patting him on the head and his musical song choices.

He looks supercute and is very aptly named, I hope by his 21st he'll be able to hold you in his arms like that.

Good work BEVIS, good work wifey, good work Sweetums, thanks for the interview little dude!

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:19:00 am, Blogger John said...

fantastic bevis! and I'm touched you abandonded him (albeit it briefly) to visit Romoin. ;)

congratulations!

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:33:00 am, Blogger Kymmy said...

Congratulations Bevis and Wifey!!You clever, clever things.

Your post bought a tear to my eye.

Best wishes to yourselves and your little Sweetum

xx

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 11:29:00 am, Blogger meva said...

You don't know me, but I just love a good birthing story. Especially one with a happy ending. And I'm very happy for a baby with so obviously a great beginning.

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 11:40:00 am, Blogger Jen said...

Awwww, he's perfect!!

Wifey sounds like the coolest (and most organised) person ever to write a note of apology for giving birth! And how awesome of you not to freak out for her sake when things were going pear shaped.

I'm so glad everything is going swimmingly now, the "walkamn" pic is adorable!

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 1:25:00 pm, Blogger Suzy said...

So glad everything turned out well for you all. Welcome to dear little "Sweetums".

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 1:29:00 pm, Blogger Peter said...

My god. My heart is racing. That was very dramatic and scary with a fabulously happy ending.

My heartiest congratulations to you and yours. You can now make your own people. That's gotta be an ego-booster.

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 2:08:00 pm, Blogger Susanne said...

Yay! I knew he'd be a boy for some reason.

Congratulations Bevis.

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 3:01:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

first tear to the eye. kermit and robin pic. really!

second tear to the eye: the letter. really!

what a beautiful story. well done and congratulations to wifey and you bevis. what a wonderful new beginning. when you mentioned that people have been doing this since the "dawns of time", i remember having exactly the same thoughts the day princess was born. absolutely wonderful.

and the real photos. he's beautiful and you are all very lucky to have each other.

i'm grinning from ear to ear right now. i laughed at the bevis patting his son for the first time. sensational.

x

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 3:57:00 pm, Blogger Zoe said...

A beautiful post and a very fine looking son you have there. It brought a tear to my eye, and not only because I'm six months pregnant and was thinking of my own downstairs area when you went on about the hurty bits.

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 3:58:00 pm, Blogger richardwatts said...

Reading Wifey's letter brought tears to my eyes, Bevis, and as I kept reading your post my eyes misted up even more. I am ridiculously happy for you all. Sweetums, welcome to the world, and the blessings of the blogsphere upon you!

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 4:26:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bevis, your baby is not a toy. Or a muppet. Trust me. You need to take the photos down unless you want weird people downloading them and doing who knows what. There are some horrible people around. At the very least, with a face like that your kid's photo lends itself to cruel photoshopping.

I mean, congratulations, and all that, but honestly; what kind of person rushes home to blog the moment his child is born? That was a long post. Does 'Wifey' mind that you spend more time at the computer than you do with her and your new baby? I think you need to spend more time living your real life than writing about your persona's life on the internet. One day, your son will thank you for it.

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 4:29:00 pm, Blogger davethescot said...

Congratulations to both you and wifey. Sounds like you had quite the birthing experience. Not so sure it was wise to do the rate my baby thing over at fits site. People can be unnecessarily cruel.

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 4:50:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Bevis and Wifey...So glad to hear all are well and safe after Sweetums dramatic entrance. It's lovely to hear the enthusiasm and excitement of a new father. The joy that emanates from this post is infectious. Enjoy every moment.
Miss O.

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 5:06:00 pm, Blogger Broken Left Leg said...

Congrats bevis, but more importantly congrats mrs bevis (wifey not mum).
I recently joined the daddy club and it fucking rocks.
27 hour labour, followed by C section.
I think i grabbed one of the mid-wives to ask how much gas supply the hospital had.
we should have a rate the nappies comp when the boys get onto the solid food!

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:03:00 pm, Blogger Javatari said...

He must take after wifey cause he's not frog like at all. He's very cute.

I hope you caught up on plenty of sleep before he arrived, cause it might be a while before get much of it now.

Well done buddy.

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:31:00 pm, Blogger Ang said...

OH, OH, OH, OH!!!

Yay you!!!

He is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

What a story, you had me in tears Beavis!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 8:34:00 pm, Blogger Mars said...

Congratulations Bevis, that boy is CUTE! You've done well and have every reason to be so proud. :)

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:08:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATURATIONS!!!!11 I didn't find out for days because apparently my computer no longer automatically refreshes your blog. It was all old news. Stupid computer.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:50:00 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

He is gorgeous!

Being nicknamed Sweetums at birth will give the young lad a good sense of humour.

Much better than being nicknamed ET due to being born in 1982 and having incredibly large eyes... Damn you Mum and Dad!

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 11:08:00 pm, Blogger Mma Crankypants said...

Congratulations. What a beautiful way you tell it. The calling of the code blue is a scary reminder that bringing little babies into the world is still a HUGE deal and can be a life/death experience. Well done - you all made it.

 
At Wednesday, October 11, 2006 11:53:00 pm, Blogger Steph said...

You made me cry DAMN YOUUUU!!!

Congratulations. The wife is truly awesome, that letter had me hiccup crying!
Your baby is beautiful. I'm so, so happy for you and i just know you will be a fantastic dad.

I want one!!!! Baby that is. Not a dad. :P

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:35:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grats to you both.

He is such a beautiful baby and Im so glad it turned out well.

Love to you both ..... well to you 3 now :)

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 1:26:00 am, Blogger Kav said...

Congrats sir - found you from steph's link. Great post, really well put, and fantastic news. Glad to see it's all worked out for you.

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 2:02:00 am, Blogger halfmanhalfbeer said...

That is one of the best posts I have ever read. Many many congrats to you both. Being a father of three little people I can tell you it only gets better and better and better.

Well done, hope Mother is doing well and that Sweetums continues to thrive.

HMHB

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 10:24:00 am, Blogger Adam said...

So, have you made anything new today (sandwich?) or are you just resting on your laurels/beanbag?

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:32:00 am, Blogger unique_stephen said...

Congradulations and welcome to father hood.

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:01:00 pm, Blogger hawkeye23 said...

The most captivating post I've read in quite some time. Almost felt like I was there.

Congratulations to Bevis, Wifey and a big welcome to the world to Sweetums.

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:02:00 pm, Blogger hawkeye23 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 2:01:00 pm, Blogger Sheri said...

Lovely post. Thanks for sharing.

Wifey sounds like a trouper for sure. I have three children and know what the birthing process is like. Nothing beats stitches in that area!

My second child was two months early and we also had a Pediatric Code Blue. I was well aware of what was going on. My entire labour and delivery was one hour. My hubby didn't make it in time from work for the delivery, so I was with my Mom. You're right those few minutes feel like hours, don't they?

Baby is beautful and I hope you're all well.

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 3:11:00 pm, Blogger Melly` said...

Ditto - to what has already been said! Congratulations to both of you and thank you for sharing it with us so beautifully!

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 3:40:00 pm, Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Gorgeous...so now, since I have four kids of my own I wanna be the first one to ask..when are ya gunna have another baby? LOL it always amazed me that people ask this questopn of me when I am still in hospital and even probably still have the bloody placenta attatched to me!!!!

Love the pics, cherish all the gorgeous moments..there will be more to come :)

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 3:43:00 pm, Blogger LadyCracker said...

Marvellous work BEVIS, congratulations to you and Wifey

xx LC

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 4:49:00 pm, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

Onya's

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 7:29:00 pm, Blogger la nadine said...

NICE WORK BEVIS AND WIFEY!

mazal tov, etc.

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 8:00:00 pm, Blogger Bonnie Conquest said...

Prolly everything that could be said, has been.
But that doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the story of Sweetum's arrival. Beautifully told with all the trimmings.
GAWJUSS KID, TOO! Well done!

 
At Thursday, October 12, 2006 10:14:00 pm, Blogger sublime-ation said...

ok, you made me cry and get clucky.
that's amazing...it's our first blog baby!

well done you and specially Wifey.

Welcome to the world Sweetums.

 
At Saturday, October 14, 2006 5:33:00 am, Blogger Unknown said...

heey, i congrats you over at Ms Fitz but she lost it i think!

duh! happy for you lil Bevis! best wishes to all, too.

 
At Sunday, October 15, 2006 1:26:00 am, Blogger Ms Smack said...

Congratulations Mr and Mrs B. Wonderful addition to your family. He's a beautiful baby.

 
At Sunday, October 15, 2006 1:15:00 pm, Blogger Summer said...

Congratulations!!!

 
At Monday, October 16, 2006 2:02:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photo (and caption) of Sweetums with his great-grandmother. She reminds me of *my* great-grandmother, actually. Mine died when I was 20 - she was 99 and eleven months! Someone at the nursing home mentioned to her that 'You'll get a telegramme from the queen, soon!' to which she replied, 'Hardly worth sticking around for, is it?' and promptly went into her dying days. My great-grandma and I were very, very good friends, and it's nice to see that Sweetums has one *just* like her - I'd recognise that cheeky grin anywhere!

 
At Monday, October 16, 2006 2:15:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, also, tell Sweetums I know what it's like to be given a nickname because of what I looked like at birth. I was named 'Mouse' by my dad cos I was all furry and quiet. How times have changed!

I think 'Sweetums' woulda been a good name for me, too. I was 9 pounds, 11 ounces. How big was your boy?

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:48:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

hey bevis. hope things are going well. i know what it can be like. they sleep at the hospital, everything seems cool bananas, and then things unravel.

don't worry, everything will be alright, if things are a little tough. the first few weeks can be HELL. you can do it. you'll be fine. thinking of you. wishing you were posting more, but that's ok, NO PRESSURE.

sending lots of love and mind-support your way.

x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home