I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Swan Song

And I don't mean "Cheer, cheer the red and the white ..." -- I'm being clever about them coming oh-so-close-but-yet-oh-so-far from winning the AFL premiereship yesterday.

Well done to West Coast. I concede that they played a much better game throughout the entire match. Sydney really came back hard in that last half especially, but it simply wasn't enough to overtake the Eagles. That goal-for-goal business in the final quarter actually had me cheering and applauding sport on television!! (That has never happened before in my life - ever! Watching the match with fifteen other people kinda helps to get carried away with the emotion, though. And Wifey, bless her, was all gung-ho about it as well. Must be the hormones.)



Credit where credit's due:
The Eagles bested the Swans yesterday.
Another feather in their cap.


IMHO, and please understand that I'm not whinging or complaining or making excuses (because I readily admit that the better team won on the day), the problem Sydney faced was half-butterfingers and half-bad decisions by the umpires.

I'm not looking for lengthy debate on the matter (but go ahead if you want to argue in the short term, *sigh*), and I realise Sydney got a free kick late in the game that was perhaps questionable, but the amount of frees and fifties that should have been paid to Sydney throughout the rest of the game that weren't was incredible.

I'm not one to slag on the umpires - they do an impressively stressful job and have to go by what they see (them's the rules), so I'm not attacking them for their decisions, but it would have been nice to see some consistency with the way each team was given free kicks and fifty metre penalties, rather than what seemed like a very biased slant towards the Eagles for most of the game.

But all that being said, it was a ripper of a game and to be beaten by one point (although painful) at least shows how close the teams were pitted against each other. Now if only Sydney hadn't had such an awwwwwwwful first quarter in particular, they might not have run away from us. But that's how it goes. I'm sure that if the score was the other way around, I wouldn't be arguing (and I'm not arguing now, either), so well done to the Eagles and bring on 2007.


PS - If that still sounds smug, I don't know how to please some people! :)

PPS - I nearly forgot ... well done to Colls Bolls for a great performance at the Grand Final! Yes, I spotted you, you clever thing, and I shouted out who you were (and presumably still are) to all my gathered friends. How exciting! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a real Grand Final performer in our midst!


.

7 Comments:

At Monday, October 02, 2006 12:37:00 am, Blogger magical_m said...

You know, considering I don't support either of the two teams who played yesterday, I did a pretty good job of screaming the pub down.

Apparently for someone who was stone cold sober I did well to entertain the masses with my shouts of joy and cries of despair.

Subsequently, I went on stage last night with a very scratchy voice.

I'm glad Sydney fought back... I do like a close final. But I'm glad West Coast won. They were the better side for most of the day.

Oh and you weren't being smug. I think you're being very gracious.

But I do have to say I've never seen a pub empty so quickly. A minute before the final siren I was being deafened by the roar of the crowd. The minute after the final siren went there were tumbleweeds rolling through.

 
At Monday, October 02, 2006 7:19:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo Hoo, I was cheering so hard for the Swannies.

Thanks for noticing l'il ol me, what can I say. I'll use the wonderful words of Mr Colls Bolls.

"The Young Diva's did a good job of backing you"

 
At Monday, October 02, 2006 2:04:00 pm, Blogger Travis Cotton said...

why does my name have an * next to it?

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 10:57:00 am, Blogger Adam said...

Whoa! Do you have a baby yet?!?

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 1:48:00 pm, Blogger Travis Cotton said...

I ain't done just yet, my man.

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 10:14:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Swannies...
During the last quarter I had to ask myself, "WHERE'S BARRY HALL?" I wasn't sure if he rocked up to the Grand Final, but ah well.

Eagles played well in the first half, we played better in the second half, but we still didn't kick enough.
What a great rivalry these two teams have! Swans: 1 - Eagles: 1.
See you next year Eagles!

(Uncle) Little Bevis

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 11:21:00 am, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

Now you really are treading on my turf1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home