I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Pregnant Brain

I'm going to blame the below slip-up on Wifey's pregnant brain, even though the mistake was entirely mine. (That's alright, isn't it? Can the father-to-be suffer from 'pregnant brain'? I certainly need some kind of excuse to save face after what follows.)

Last Friday was Ms Fits' 30th birthday.

Here's the comment I left on her blog at 3:55pm:


BEVIS said...

Happy 30th birthday, Ms Fits! (I tried sending you an SMS but maybe you have a new number? Or it might go through later. It could just be the crappy reception where I live.)

Sounds simple enough, doesn't it. Sweet, even. What a nice guy I am to have written her a text message, even if my phone was being stupid and letting me down in the actual 'sending' department.

But there's one more thing you need to know.

I. Don't. Have. Ms. Fits'. Mobile. Phone. Number.

I was trying to send an SMS to her home phone.

The fact that it took me from around 10am Friday 'til roughly 2pm Monday to realise that I'd been trying to get my phone to tell me the text message was 'successfully sent' to a home phone line will not be discussed here.

I can't explain why I thought I had her mobile number, but Ms Fits (bless her heart) didn't bother to reply to my question about her 'new number' and embarrass me ("Um, I've never given you my mobile number, you jerk"). Anyway, my futile attempt to achieve the impossible just to somehow get my all-important birthday greeting across to her is the important point here.

Or something.

Let's just please not focus on what is definitely the most stupid thing I've done all year.

The moment when realisation crystalised itself in my mind is very clear in my memory. Foolishness and clarity swept through me at the same time. It makes for a very strange sensation, let me assure you.

When ET said to phone home, he didn't specify which number we should use.


.

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 30, 2006 7:50:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, that's funny. I didn't know that pregnant brain was a well known phenomenon! I just thought it was my wife's way of explaining away all the absent minded stuff she does. (If I had a dollar for the number of times the RACV or myself has rescued her when she'd locked her keys in the car I'd be rich!)

Apparently pregnant brain persists after the baby is born as well.

PS. Don't tell my wife I told you that! ;-)

 
At Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:50:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the most stupid thing you've done all year? You're so lucky.

 
At Tuesday, May 30, 2006 1:48:00 pm, Blogger ms fits said...

I wondered what all that heavy breathing was on my message bank.

 
At Tuesday, May 30, 2006 8:49:00 pm, Blogger Chai said...

Actually, my home phone can receive and send SMSs, but only from/to telstra mobiles.
It is possible she's just ignoring you.

 
At Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:36:00 pm, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

Bevis, funnily enough, you could actualy send text messages to land lines (Telstra to Telstra) a couple of years ago. I tried it out a few times but it always failed coz it couldn't translate some words, therefore it wouldn't send a message, especially translating those texty abbrevs.
LOL

 
At Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:38:00 pm, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

PS: Your Arrested Development link doesn't work.

 
At Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:44:00 am, Blogger BEVIS said...

Nah, John B - it's a commonly known problem with pregnant women worldwide. It's a good way of blaming scatter-brained behaviour on something men can't possibly understand (let alone deny)! And only the nastiest of men would dare to disregard the claim. Nice work if you can get it ...

CBomb, ha! Yes, I guess the whole thing could sound like a 'backwards boast', couldn't it. Maybe I should have said 'most embarrassing' thing I've done all year. Does that make it any better?

Ms Fits, oops - sprung! I guess I'd better stop that, now that you know it's me.

Chai, I never knew that was possible. My mobile phone's not with Telstra, though, so it certainly wasn't going to work. Your idea that she was just ignoring me made me laugh, though. Yes, that's most likely! :)

Clokeeeey, so I hear. (I've known that for ages, Clokes!*) Thanks for the tip about the link.

* I hope you read my answer to Chai, above, to see the joke in this.

 
At Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:36:00 am, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

My ESP powers were a little off. I guess it's the moderation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home