I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Monday Meme MaDnEsS!!!

(It's mostly 'mad' because of the use of capital letters and exclamation marks in the title ... and of course because it's Wednesday.)

My mate Steph made another meme (she's crazy like that - some might say 'mad', if the word wasn't in danger of being over-used already in this post). And she tagged me (which isn't as offensive as it may sound).

Apparently this meme is all about blogging, although it seems to me to be all about Steph's mates. But that's all right. I made it on the list (barely - I only got tagged, as opposed to appearing in any of her actual answers ... but at least I got tagged. Others didn't. It's all good).

Here we go:


1. First blog you ever read?


Ms Fits. Same as Steph (and probably many of you, too), with the distinct exception that I spell her moniker correctly. (It's not 'Miss', Steph! You'll have Alias Women's Lib after you!) I've name-dropped about it enough (mainly on her blog to 'impress' the thousands of readers she gets every hour) that she and I went to school together. Not literally, in the "come on, we're going to be late, let's take a shortcut through Old MacPherson's haunted estate, I hope we haven't missed the bell, see you after school!" kind of way. We just went to the same school. For a year. But it was enough for her to be delighted beyond belief* upon seeing me again at our ten year reunion in 2003. She gave me her business card, and we got to emailing. Amongst one of the emails that followed, she told me I should start a blog. A confused silence followed, so she sent me the URL to her own, and my eyes were opened. The rest, as they say, is history of truly stalker proportions.

* She wouldn't mind me using this term; it's 100% accurate, I assure you. (Please don't ask her.)


2. What inspired you to start your own?


I've pretty-much answered that question with the above answer. I actually started one back in July 2004, but I couldn't get into it and it was pretty lame. So I disappeared for about six months and came back with a theme (The Muppets), a revitalised bout of enthusiasm, and a fragile sense of self-worth (hey, we're all alike in that regard; don't kid yourself). The rest, as they say, is history of truly psychopathic proportions.

Actually, I was just keen to share my love (and ridiculous amount of useless knowledge) of The Muppets with the world. I figured there weren't enough blogs asking all the tough questions (such as, "How can a frog and a pig ever possibly hope to procreate?"**), so I was happy to lend my hand to the cause. (Of providing a blog to answer these questions; not of helping a frog and a pig procreate.)

** This question has already been asked and answered. Check back through my archives if you really want to know the answer.


3.The best and worst about blogging?


Well, that's not even a full sentence. But if you're asking me what the best and worst things are about blogging, then I'd have to say:

Best - The amusement and friendship it brings (from otherwise relative strangers). The fulfillment that can also be achieved from getting in the habit of writing on a daily basis is another personal highlight for myself. Getting the chance to (try to) be funny and inspirational and at the same time wow people (in sincerity or fear) of my overwhelming knowledge base of The Muppets is also quite satisfying.

Worst - I think, if I was being honest with myself (and I can usually tell when I'm lying to myself - it's something about the eyes), I'd say that not too many of my real life friends read my blog. Some read it fairly regularly, and some occasionally visit and have a browse, but not too many take it seriously. That's okay of course (no offense to my friends if they're reading this), but for me this is quite a serious but fun outlet of Me. On one hand it's cool if my friends aren't interested, but it's quite another thing to think (and make comments along the lines of) this whole thing being ridiculous or geeky or a phase. I'd hope I wouldn't say the same thing about stuff you found important to you, even if I didn't understand it.


4. Who was the first person to comment on your blog? Troll your archives and find out.


Don't have to do no trollin'. I've remembered this since day one and have made mention of it at least twice since. It was everybody's favourite she-pirate, Elaine. I asked who'd be my friend, and she was the first one to put up her hand. She didn't have to, but we've been friends ever since. She's very cool.


5. What has been your most popular blog entry?


Definitely yesterday's cat comic one. (Haha!) No, it was Touché, Fabian - although this is only because a flamer got in and tried to start trouble by casting aspersions onto my character ... some of my readers took her on, and they made quite a mess of her. It was sweet, and brought a tear to my eye. But that aside, it'd be one of my more recent posts; possibly the Ikea one. I don't think anything else has had so many comments, but I could be wrong about that. (If we're judging popularity by how many comments people leave.)



6. If I re-named my blog I would call it ...


"The Blog In Which I, Who Shall Be Known Simply As BEVIS, Will Regale You With Stories Of Mirth & Merriment, About The Muppets, My Weird Life, And So On. I'm A Little Strange, So Don't Mind Me." (Good thing "I Blogged Myself" wasn't taken, eh!)



7. If my blog had a theme song it would be ...


Well derr - The Muppet Show theme song, obviously. That was a no-brainer.


8. If my blog was a room it would look like ...


The backstage area of The Muppet Theatre (where Kermit's stage manager's desk is located on The Muppet Show). Just like my mind and this blog, the backstage area of The Muppet Theatre is crammed full of odds and ends (some would call it junk), is always populated by weird and crazy characters, and is in a constant state of chaos. Perfect.


9. Five bloggers I would like to have over for dinner.


Hannibal Lecter-style? I think this means as guests. That makes it tough. The previous three ladies I've named would be invited, but I'll skip them (seeing as they've already received a mention today) and extend the invites to five others. I reckon it'd be ace to have Little Faerie Girl over, as well as MelbourneGirl (it wouldn't be a party without MelbourneGirl). She could bring Princess along as well, if she wanted. And it wouldn't count towards the five-guest-bloggers restriction (because I said so!). It's feeling a little female-centric at the moment, so I'll throw in Cotton, Clokeeeey and Adam. All of these people are delightful.

The next night, I'd have another dinner party (rules are made to be broken), and I'd invite La Nadine, Jobe, Sarah, Krankiboy ... and Gianluca Di Milano. Now that would be an interesting dinner party!

(And then the third night I'd invite Peter, Gav, Sheriff of Nothing, Sublime-ation and SBR. Hey! Stop making me choose between friends in a public forum, then! Everyone else, please understand that you'd all be invited to a dinner party at once. And if worse came to worse and it had to be limited to five guests at a time, then within a week you'd all have been invited. I don't like having to choose between friends. Steph made me do it. Hmph!)


10. Two bloggers you would like to set up on a blind date.


Well, the obvious is either Steph and Jobe or Auburn and Jobe. I don't know why it has to be Jobe. Maybe because he sometimes seems so angry and his ire is often misdirected. I'd like him to be happy. Although I rather think Cotton could do with some happy lovin' as well. I'm not sure who'd be a good match for him, though. This is a tough one. What if I name someone who isn't single? (What if I already have?) Does that make me a dodgy bloke? Nah, there are plenty of other reasons why I'm a dodgy bloke. I don't need any more.

I'll say Riss and Logan. (Heehee - they're a married couple! I'm so cheeky!)


11. Somebody I wish had a blog?


I'm going to ignore the poor sentence structure in that question and just answer it in the spirit in which it was meant: Joss Whedon. (He probably already has a blog somewhere, but I don't know what it is. Actually, I think he just writes on the occasional forum when the mood takes him. I don't know if he has his own blog. It'd rock, though.) He's the creator of Buffy, Angel and Firefly ... and if you're not a fan of those shows, that will sound really lame. But he's an exceptional writer.

Or possibly Frank Oz (voice of Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, and countless others ... and close friend of Jim Henson's).


12. If you were only allowed to read one blog ever again, which blog would it be?


I'm sorry, Steph - I love you, but I simply had to correct the grammar in the above question before I could answer it.

This is a cruel question, as well. It's worse than picking just five bloggers to have over for a meal - and you saw what I did with that! If I wanted quantity, I'd have to go with Jobe. If I wanted to learn something, I'd have to go with Ms Fits. If I wanted friendship, MelbourneGirl. Zany humour, Adam. Solidarity, Little Faerie Girl. Oh, there are so many others that I admire. Basically anyone in my blogroll. You're all great. But to avoid further alienation, I'll say Dave Barry. He's hilarious. (I'm also a big fan of my own blog, so I'd be happy just to read that for the rest of my life. I think I have great things to contribute, especially about the slight nuances between Fozzie Bear's voice on The Muppet Show and Bert's voice on Sesame Street***.)

*** There are none.


13. Is there a fellow blogger you would like to snog / shag / do rude things to? Feel free to name names if you're game.


No. I don't really get the whole 'blog crush' thing. I expect it has something to do with finding the writings of anothe blogger very insightful, intelligent and/or amusing, but I can (and do) feel these things about many bloggers without developing a 'crush' on them. Maybe I just haven't experienced whatever it is that's being referred to when people say 'blog crush'. I guess it's not something I'm going to experience while I'm happily married to Wifey (which will be until eternity ends), and I'm almost-certain no one has ever had a blog crush on me. I write about puppets, so I can't see what's so exciting about that to anyone who isn't me.


14. Discover a blog. Link to a blog that you have recently found, or a blog you have been reading for a while and haven't blogrolled.


Tyson left a comment on my blog around a month ago, and then he linked to one of my Neighbours summaries. He was very generous with his praise of me, so naturally I think he's a top bloke with impeccable taste. I've been scouting him out now-and-then ever since. Give him a red-hot go. He's worth it (and if you're not 100% satisfied, he has a genuine, no questions asked, money-back refusal policy, the nasty piece of work!).


Tag five bloggers to complete this meme.


1. Gregory Surlyboy.
2. LadyCracker.
3. Gun Street Girl.
4. MeghansDiscontent.
5. Ang.
6. Her Radicalness.
7. Dxxxx.
8. Fluffy.
9. ChickyBabe.
10. Magical_M.
11. Chai.
12. Quirkie.
13. Thomasr.
14. Susanne.
15. Locket.

("Hehe ... ain't I a stinker?")


Go ye forth therefore and multiply.



.

40 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 7:47:00 am, Blogger Chai said...

Dude.....
U dont invite me for dinner AND you want me to do your meme? Dude.....

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:58:00 am, Blogger Melba said...

loved this bevis. really nice.

i'm guessing you didn't tag me cause you know i don't like it, and i don't have time to do this.

can someone please make a list of everyone who has done this particular meme? i would like to read more of this...

have a great day bevis.

off to thesis...

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:58:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh goodness. I couldn't pay for publicity that good.

So you'd prefer Paypal?

On a side note - google searches for Neighbours related topics still bring in the most hits to my website.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:38:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Chai on this one. Pthhhh to you.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 11:00:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slappy - can I suggest a topic for on of your next posts around asking people to rate the type of posts they like on your blog? So, things like; cartoons, work rants, muppet stuff, TV insights, funny anecdotes etc. and get people to rate how much they like each of these??? Would be interesting!

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 11:28:00 am, Blogger sublime-ation said...

Well done, you speedy Bevis you.
Thanks for inviting me to dinner. I like dinner parties.
By the way I went to school with Ms Fits for a year, in 93. Does that mean you and I were at school together to?
oh my god, imagine if we hated/loved each other or something!

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 12:07:00 pm, Blogger thr said...

DONE!!
It was rather difficult.

but fun

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 12:29:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Chai, you mustn't have read that paragraph very carefully, because I said that everyone on my blogroll would be invited. Don't shoot the messenger for a restriction STEPH placed on us all! If you look carefully, you'll notice that I tagged people who didn't get a specific mention throughout the post - and vice versa. So I was looking out for everyone.

Gav, that sounds lovely, Gav. Do you take requests? (I love a bit of black forest cake, but I'm also partial to orange cake or a pavlova with Violet Crumble sprinkled on top. Yummo!) Actually, I think it'd be great to have Gav's Pav.

Sheriff of Nothing, you're very kind. Both with the compliments and the 'vino'. Personally, I won't have any, but I'd love for you to bring some along for the other guests to enjoy! (I can't think of a way to rhyme 'vino' with 'Sheriff of Nothing', sorry.)

MelbourneGirl, that's right, I left you alone because I remember you seemed to labour over the last one I tagged you with. :) If you head over to Steph's blog you'll see the original meme (under the same title) and as she started it, it's only the five she tagged (plus the 15 I sneakily tagged) and anyone else any of us have since tagged, that are on this 'magic list' you seek. All the best with your thesis.

Tyson, hey there! You were quick off the mark! Does this mean you come back here fairly often, or was this a random visit where you happened to spot your own name? (Feel free not to answer that obvious pressure for praise.) Glad you read it, anyway. Yes, PayPal is fine with me. I think we agreed on $1,000 per link? That's very amusing about the Neighbours search results! I wonder if any come to my blog ... I have no idea how to check.

Her Radicalness, don't you 'Pthhhh' at me, young lady! See my comment above to Chai and tuck your tail between your legs. What gratitude!

Spankk, what's this?? A serious suggestion from you, sir? I don't mind creating such a post, although it's a little narcissistic (not that that ever bothers me). Other readers may find it distasteful, but again: I guess I'm fine with that. Sure. I'll set up a poll (don't anyone pre-empt this by leaving your answers here, though - wait for the damn poll). I'm pretty certain we'll be hearing 'Elvira posts!' from Mr Kahfarknarkle, but I can weather that storm if I have to. :)

Sublime-ation, your comment about us maybe lovig or hating each other at school made me laugh! Nice one. Unfortunately we have probably never met, as I went to school with Ms Fits in 1991. She's so much fun, she has to share herself around.* No one can handle her co-schooling with them for more than a year. She's too distracting.

* And I don't mean that in a yucky way.

Gav (again), I like the way you think, catering-wise. But let's not start a gloating war between my dinner parties!

Thomasr, I'm impressed! That was very quick. I'm so amazed that Pamela Anderson has a blog. I didn't know she could spell her own name! (boom-tish) I'm gonna add her to my Celebrity Bloggers list, just for kicks.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 1:13:00 pm, Blogger sublime-ation said...

Phew! One never knows.

Pamela Anderson has a blog? What's it called, 'I Boobed Myself'?

Sorry. I'll just go now.
(lucky we weren't at school together, you would have quickly tired of my inane jokes).

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 1:39:00 pm, Blogger Steph said...

Oh well done Bevis. I love the way you mememememe! BUT, please don't taunt the grammatically challenged! I do my best, god love me. I have a level of retardation that hasn't been discovered yet. Cut me some slack!!!

Loved how many people you tagged. There ars so many bloggers who should do it. Just so we can mind perve on them.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 1:58:00 pm, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

Bevis, thanks for the invite. I'll bring my lasagna if that's okay. Althogh my daughter says it's only 98% as good as my mum's las.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 2:13:00 pm, Blogger Chai said...

So... which remand school was this?

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 2:53:00 pm, Blogger Riss said...

Logan and I on a blind date, hey? I think we're a bit past that now; we're coming up to our third wedding anniversary soon so we should be! You silly.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 2:54:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bevis, I have your blog subscribed in my Bloglines, so I always get the very latest of your self-blogging. When I stumbled onto your link to me, I thought I had just relasped at some point during the night and had blogged a link to my own blog.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:12:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Sublime-ation, haha - very good. Nice play on words with my own blog title. I think I could have matched you at school, lame Dad joke for lame Dad joke. Puns that make you groan - that's my specialty! :)

Sorry Steph. I was wondering if I'd laid it on a bit thick with how I was harrassing you (in good spirits!) throughout the meme. No hard feelings, I hope? I think the meme will flow throughout the blogosphere now that I tagged 15 people! Even if they don't all take it up, a fair few probably will, so we'll see how we go.

Clokeeeey, you're welcome. Looks like it became quite the little hotbed of contention! I didn't mean it to be, but lasagna (whoever's it is) sounds great. At this rate, I won't have to do any catering myself!

Chai, it was St Augustine's Reform School For Wayward Girls. (I was very happy in my early teens.)

Riss, hehe. 'Silly' is my middle name. (No, really - it's Ukranian or something.)

Tyson, wow. I don't think I've been 'Bloglined' before (or at least not that anyone's told me), so that's quite spesh. Cheers! I'm gonna check it out for myself.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:15:00 pm, Blogger sublime-ation said...

*sniffs* My school wasn't a remand school, Chai, it was proudly known as the 'Pot School'. Best Purple Heads in Melbourne.
And it produced real assets to society, look, my new word 'memememe' has now entered the world of the internerds, well done Steph.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 5:18:00 pm, Blogger elaine said...

I have you on bloglines too...

As well as my seriously disorganised blogroll.

I'm glad I volunteered for the friendship thing. I like you!

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 5:52:00 pm, Blogger ChickyBabe said...

I'll be in it, Bevis! Thanks for the tag.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:00:00 pm, Blogger Ben said...

K. Few comments here, Bev.

1. I guess I'm sort of okay with being in your second choice dinner party. It'll be fun. But not TOO fun.

2. I'm not angry. I'm quite happy. I just play. Auburn and Steph don't seem to be my "type".

3. Thanks for not tagging me.

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 12:16:00 am, Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Luv you much you little green hearted man.

However, the Meme will have to wait.

I promise to complete it, just within a few days time.
Besides, you tagged the whole freakin world! :)

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 12:45:00 am, Blogger magical_m said...

Dude.

My link is wrong.

Really.

*pretends to storm off in a huff but starts giggling and can't keep it up*

Fix it and I will accept the tag!

Love your work.

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:18:00 am, Blogger thr said...

I go bloglines.com too!!!

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:40:00 am, Blogger Chai said...

To subl, I didnt mean to hurt you, I didnt mean to make you cry. Hmmmm... cant remember what song this is from but my spider sense is telling me I should not be owning up to even knowing snippets of the lyrics from this song.

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:05:00 am, Blogger Susanne said...

Hey Bevs,

I'm here, just haven't felt like posting. But all that's about to change... starting today!!!

Cheers mate.

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:41:00 pm, Blogger gun street girl said...

I done Mr. B.
it's not as in depth as yours tho, sorry.

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:56:00 pm, Blogger Quirkie said...

Cheers, Bevis, yet another good reason to not start work yet. Yay memes :) yay memes :)

boom chaka laka laka
boom chaka laka laka

(you have 0.5 secs to reference the above muppets quote)

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:57:00 pm, Blogger Quirkie said...

comment moderation?
que?

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:59:00 pm, Blogger Quirkie said...

well?
moderate me, ya bugger!

*stares, frowing at screen, baffled and slightly disconcerted by all this dang new technology*

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:59:00 pm, Blogger Quirkie said...

ok ok now I'm just giving you something to do

tee hee

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:32:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Sublime-ation, as you're talking to Chai and Steph, I have nothing to say to you. :P

Elaine, I tried to get the use Bloglines, but (a) I couldn't get the hang of it, (b) it took too much effort, and (c) I'm a dill. I thank you, however, for listing me as you have. And I like you! P-)

Sheriff of Nothing, no problem, you weren't meant to know. I'm perfectly fine with my guests have some wine, beer or spirits, though. (But yes, my vice is Coke ... as in Coca-Cola, the drink.) Thank you!

ChickyBabe, no worries, I look forward to reading it.

I'm happy to take each of those perfectly-valid points on board, Jobey. I figured you wouldn't be interested in being tagged, but I'm not so sure Steph and Auburn wouldn't be your type. You'd know better than me, but maybe you just need to give love a chance?

MeghansDiscontent, thank you - same here. That's fine about the delay; it's totally up to you when you complete it. (And yes, perhaps I over-tagged on this one.)

Magical_M, I don't know what happened there. I actually found the error myself shortly after posting it, and went back in and fixed it before anyone had commented. Then you said this and I checked again, only to find that somehow Blogger hadn't saved my change (even though it said it had published it 100%, etc). Not happy! My apologies for the mistake; I'd fixed it ages before you left a comment. Anyway, it's okay now, so I trust you will accept the tag?? :)

Thomasr, I'll give it another go (see my comment to Elaine, above), but I'm not so sure Bloglines and I are made for each other ... :)

Chai, you're not talking to me either; you're as bad as Sublime-ation! (Do you guys want to get a room or something?) The song you're paraphrasing (ie. not quoting) is Culture Club's "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" (with good ol' Boy George), made famous more recently as the oft-repeated song sung in The Wedding Singer. Glad I could help.

Susanne, yay! I like to think it was my tag that brought you back - even though that's almost certainly not it. But that's what I like to think. :)

Gun Street Girl, excellent work! I'm heading over there now to check it out. Thanks for letting me know!

Quirkie, you make me smile! Big time! (The Muppet reference you made is from Muppet Treasure Island. Did you really think you'd stump me? Surely not.) I'm glad I could provide you with more procrastination. You certainly seemed to be having fun with my comment moderation thing. I've posted all your comments because I can't be the only person to share in your fun; surely! :)

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 9:35:00 am, Blogger Chai said...

subl, can you tell Bevis that I dont think it is the culture club song. I realise it has similar lyrics but it's not the one in my head.

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 2:04:00 pm, Blogger sublime-ation said...

Sorry, Bevis, I'm not ignoring you, but Chai it is!
*sigh*
god I was so in love with Boy G when I was 8 and didn't quite understand the concept of homosexuality. But 'Karma Kameleon' was my fave, must've been the reggae influence.

Well done Bevis!

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 9:48:00 pm, Blogger gun street girl said...

Chai : Is it "Jealous guy" by John Lennon?

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 11:23:00 pm, Blogger sublime-ation said...

oh fuck i stand corrected. Of course Chai your taste is too good, it had to be The Beatles not Boy G. But how can such similar lines appear in both songs?
That's some weird pop culture thing we've discovered.

 
At Saturday, February 11, 2006 12:11:00 am, Blogger Chai said...

gst, you are my new hero!!! Fantastic pickup. Can someone tell Bevis that it is John Lennon's Jealous Guy. Brilliant recall. *shakes head*

And I thought Boy G was a she when I first saw CC on TV. I remember thinking "She looks OK". *shudder*

 
At Saturday, February 11, 2006 12:14:00 am, Blogger Chai said...

gst? I meant gsg of course. gst.. *shakes head* Pffft.... You remain my hero, gsg.

 
At Saturday, February 11, 2006 1:19:00 am, Blogger Ben said...

"I'm not so sure Steph and Auburn wouldn't be your type. You'd know better than me, but maybe you just need to give love a chance?"

I'm sure. I wouldn't want to "get serious" with them because they would fall for me and I would break their heart when I left. I couldn't do such a thing to such lovely young women.

 
At Saturday, February 11, 2006 12:16:00 pm, Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

i'd love to come over for dinner. can i please come on the night that surly gregory is going, and can we invite sherriff (mattyb) cos i wanna give him a big hug

i cant contribute food, i dont like wine, but i can be charming, spout witty banter and be pretty

word verification

zvtattaz

tattaz!

thats like a boob word

and putting 'zv' in front of it makes it german or something

see, witty

 
At Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:39:00 am, Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Bevis, my meme is posted. Now I'm running away...

 
At Wednesday, February 22, 2006 2:21:00 pm, Blogger kranki said...

Also, kudos. That was cool how you snuk in that actual picture of Jellyfish. It made me think some of the others were real too. Where did you get the still?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home