I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Elvira Tag

On Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:34:45 AM, Mr. Kahfarknarkle said...

Bevis, I TAG you to write a post about your detailed thoughts oln Elvira, including; why she was so popular, a detailed review of her career, all the role's she's played, what she's doing now, and then tag another 20 people with the same thing




Thanks for this imaginative and ingenious tag, Mr K. I'm not sure how popular Elvira is with the international blogging community, but I'll see how I go ...

Born in September 1949 (eww - that makes her 56 years old!), Cassandra Peterson was never much into horror films as a child.* However, upon reaching her 23rd year, she landed the much-admir'd role of 'Uncredited' in Roma.

Her performance was so amazing that it took two full years for Hollywood to recover and offer her the role of 'Katya' in The Working Girls. This film is now subtitled (in a really tasteful way) 'Elvira Naked' in video stores, due to Katya's brief* striptease. What class.

A string of memorable roles followed, such as 'Girl with Lugs', 'O'Malley's Girl', 'Busty Nurse', 'Neighbor' (sic), 'Dinner Party Guest' and 'Hostage'. In 1985's Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, she featured as 'Biker Mama'.

However, appearances on many TV shows such as Happy Days, CHiPS, Fantasy Island, Saturday Night Live, The Arsenio Hall Show, St Elsewhere, thirtysomething, Nash Bridges, The Fall Guy, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Murder She Wrote* and The Richard Simmons Show (on most of which she appeared as Elvira) soon followed. The character Elvira, "Mistress of the Dark", was a supposedly vampiresque woman of sin and shame (although she was always remarkably PG-rated, with only innuendo and bad agents holding her back) who ran her own late night cheap black and white horror movie show on cable TV.

She enjoyed some measure of success in the 1980s*, culminating in a 1988 feature-length film, imaginatively titled Elvira, Mistress of the Dark.

There were two main reasons for her popularity:




Although the character will never die (and has never aged either), her official website certainly has. Be sure to check out the calendars you can buy in the Merchandise section.

Since the early nineties, Elvira has barely been seen in the media (with the odd exception such as The Tony Danza Show, although this barely counts as no one watches it). However, she regularly attends signings and conventions, amazing her fans by her once-natural red hair, her reasonably-aged features, and her bosoms hanging down around her knees.

Congratulations to Riss and later Millwood for correctly identifying yesterday's Mystery Woman.

I now tag every single one of you reading this to do the same thing I've done with this Elvira tag.




* I don't know if this is true.



PS - Later today, I will finally do it. Stay tuned.


.

15 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 1:40:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

slubbedy-dub!!!

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 1:48:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Fine words, Mr Minchen.

(Don't you feel silly now for not getting it right yesterday?)

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 1:56:00 pm, Blogger Riss said...

Yay, I guessed! (Logan is a fan.)

I did also remember the tag from mr. karfarnarkle (apologies for any incorrect spelling of name).

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:13:00 pm, Blogger sublime-ation said...

Elvira? Why can't we have a Muppets tag? I remembered on the weekend how my fave album as a kid was Sesame Disco, and I think it had the Muppets on it to...or was that another album?

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:46:00 pm, Blogger elaine said...

dum-de-doo!

*whistles cheerily*

as you were then.

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:51:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Bevis, you didn't mention the film 'Elvira's Haunted Hills' (It's awful), or the fact that she was unsuccessfully sued by a 'lady' who had some decades earlier, portrayed a character called 'Vampira', who had similar...um.. attributes. I actually just scared myself by know these factoids off the top of my head!!

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:27:00 pm, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

Well, it can't get much more later in the day. What are we waiting for?

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 12:43:00 am, Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Umm . . .am I the ONLY one who thinks that the ONLY reason she was popular was her cleavage??

Back in the day, she had a plungeline I would have killed for.

Oh wait, I used the past tense there . . . I would still kill for it.

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:58:00 am, Blogger BEVIS said...

Well done, Riss. (Although I don't know how Logan being a fan could mean you're able to spot her out of make-up. Does he have pictures of her real identity stuck up around the bedroom? Or did he simply cheat and tell you who it was?)

Sublime-ation, you're actually asking for a Muppets tag? Don't worry; I can provide. I'll treat the rest of your comment as an official Muppet Question, and answer it in the fullness of time.

Elaine, thanks. *relaxes*

John B, no, that's right, I didn't. I wanted to leave you with something to say. Vampira was stupid to sue. Elvira was an intentional mockery of such characters and shows; she wasn't ripping Vampira off! She was parodying her! No wonder Vampira won. (Imagine the court case for that one! "Case 348: Vampira vs Elvira. The Honourable Count Dracula presiding.")

Clokeeeey, if you're referring to me saying "Stay tuned", you're waiting for today's post. It'll be here shortly. If you're still waiting for the identity of the Mystery Woman to be revealed, you need to re-read this post! :)

MeghansDiscontent, you're not the only one who thinks that's why she was popular, no. You might want to re-read the line above the 'Elvira' photo in my post. I list the reasons for her popularity there. :)

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 9:39:00 am, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

Bevis, I was referring to the stay tuned bit, so I'm actually waiting for todays post? ok, I'm hanging by my thumbnails in anticipation.

You sure that's not Kim Cattrall? they must have been separated at birth.

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 10:04:00 am, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

Actually, I am pretty sure I know what we are staying tuned for. I'm guessing you'll .... .
Let's see if i'm right.

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 11:10:00 am, Blogger elaine said...

so did you? huh? huh? did you do it???

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 11:59:00 am, Blogger BEVIS said...

Sorry for the delay, people. There's a new post up there now that answers your questions.

So did you guess it?

(I don't believe you.)

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 12:00:00 pm, Blogger sublime-ation said...

There are "official Muppets questions"? Was I supposed to email you officially or something? Or do you need to fax me a form to fill out?

Anyway if you could enlighten me that'd be so cool. I still have the record. 'Doin the Grouch' : No 7 on my all time top ten tracks.

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 12:27:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Sublime-ation, I refer you to the 'Ask Me' paragraph in the right-hand menu on the main page of my blog.

The answers get put up as their own post. It's all very exciting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home