I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Twenty Extra Things - I Tagged Myself!

I had too many extra Things about myself yesterday that I wanted to share with you, so I've decided to tag myself (is this another first for the blogosphere? I'd better watch myself - I'm becoming a hero!), so that I can give all you wonderful people some more goss on BEVIS, and then spread the love some more by tagging others.

I have continued the numbering system from my previous two Twenty Things posts, so that's why the Things start with number 41.



41. I enjoy a good crossword, particularly celebrity-, TV- or movie-themed crosswords.

42. One of my biggest hobbies (and no, it really is a hobby) is Television. This will be explored in a mega-post all of its own over the coming weeks. I know it sounds like a joke or that I'm being lazy or just a 'couch potato' (this is me now, and this is me in twenty years), but I don't simply mean watching television. I'm talking about actually studying it and knowing it back-to-front and reading up on shows and characters and storylines and stuff, to the point that I can predict what's going to happen next simply from my understanding of how the show, genre and production company works / thinks, and also because I like to learn as much as I can about the craft. I consider it a challenge to find a 'high quality show' (because I think quite highly of my own mind, so to impress me, it's gotta be pretty good!*), and when I find a show that's well-written and enjoyable and exciting, I grab onto it with both hands and watch it religiously so I can be part of that world. This means I have a lot of shows that I regularly watch, but it's not about 'wasting time in front of the idiot box'; this is my version of a sport or other outdoor activity.

* I say this tongue-in-cheek, don't worry.

43. I don't partake in a sport or other outdoor activities.

44. I guard my friendships closely and am a good, fiercely-loyal friend to have (if I do say so myself).

45. I can't tell you which way is north, south, east or west. But blindfold me, spin me around ten times, then ask me to point to the shops, and I will succeed every time.

46. In Year 3 (or 'Grade 3' or '3rd Grade', depending on where you come from), I held the class record for saying my six times tables the fastest without making a mistake. The record was 12 seconds, and nobody came close to topping that score all year. I won a Mars Bar.

47. I was once 'dacked' by my so-called 'friend' in Year 2 in front of my entire class. Thankfully, I was wearing kiddies' version of these, so I was protected from their laughs by the super-strength I inhabited when wearing them.

48. I prefer to stay up all night working or playing than be awake early in the morning for the same. I am much more at home late at night.

49. I only learnt to read an analogue clock two years ago, when I was 28. And sometimes I still struggle to work out what it's saying if I'm tired. Parents take note: Don't give your children a digital watch unless you already know for certain that they have mastered reading an analogue clock!! Otherwise, they will live to regret it.

50. I am extremely competitive, but only because I know I'm the best at most things. :)

51. I have elaborate plans / dreams of making exceptional videos for fun and profit (and I pretty much have the resources - and definitely have the skills to do so), but I never seem to have the time to get out there and make any of them.

52. I know how long a piece of string is: As long as its knot / it's not. Ha! Get it? That's actually the correct answer to the question "How long is a piece of string?" It's not meant to be a rhetorical question at all. I also know the 'official' answers to the following: 'Curiosity killed the cat', 'How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?' and 'Where's Wally?'.**

** "Satisfaction brought him back", "He would chuck what a woodchuck would chuck, if he would chuck wood" and "There", respectively.

53. I am actually quite 'religious', although that's not the term I'd use to describe myself. Does this change your opinion of me? If so, I rather think that says more about you than it does about me.

54. As discussed here on BourbonBird's blog, I always have the toilet roll in the 'overhand fashion' (an excellent term I stole from BourbonBird!), and if anyone puts a new roll on that runs down the wall, I will always change it. In other people's homes I'm not as neurotic about it, but I've been known to switch the odd one or two over in my time. The reason is simple. If the roll runs down the wall, people put their grubby fingers on the wall when grabbing the paper - and over time, dirty fingermarks appear on the wall that need to be cleaned (scrubbed) off. If the roll is in the overhand fashion, no such cleaning is required. You know about grubby fingermarks that appear at child-height on doors, etc? Well, this is the same thing, but on your toilet wall. I'm yet to hear of a logical reason for it being the other way, so if you have one, I welcome it. (This problem probably isn't so bad in tiled bathrooms / toilets, but if you have painted walls or wallpaper in your bathroom / toilet, consider which way you have your roll facing and how much extra work it's causing you.) Also, it's easier to find the paper if it hangs over the top than if it's hiding underneath somewhere. :)

55. I have a recurring fear that I'm going to faint, fall, slip over or something similar [maybe I'll be pushed? :)] in the shower one day, and I'll hit the glass shower wall, it will smash, and I'll fall through the hole, spearing myself on the shards of glass still embedded in the frame and pointing upwards. I don't know if I'm describing it well here, but imagine I shatter the glass at around chest level, so a hole is created which I continue to fall through. I keep seeing myself ending up with a giant triangle of frosted glass going straight through my gut or chest cavity and out my back. It's awful, I know, but I've had this thought for years and it occurs to me at least once a month. I don't know how to stop it from bothering me. Maybe if I only take baths or refuse to wash myself ever again or shower outside under the sprinkler by dancing naked on the front lawn with all the neighbours' kiddies or something. (Hmm, no - scratch that last one.)

56. Wifey is the most wonderful and beautiful and accommodating woman in the world. This isn't really a fact about me, ... except to point out how lucky I am.

57. I once won two tickets on the radio at 3am (when I was supposed to be finishing an essay due the following morning but was barely getting started on it) to attend the world premiere of a Bruce Willis movie. I was the lucky caller. Unfortunately, the film in question was The Fifth Element, and I didn't think too much of it. It 'borrowed' too liberally from Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and a bunch of other films. Plus, that Chris Tucker guy destroyed the thing. (Strangely, I didn't mind him so much in Rush Hour or Rush Hour 2, but I thought he was terrible in The Fifth Element.) I asked the girl I liked at the time to come with me, but made the mistake of playing her the tape I'd made of me winning the tickets first (I'd pressed record on my tape deck when my call connected so I could hear it back later myself). The DJ had asked me if I had a girlfriend, and stupidly, I said 'Um, kinda', with which she took major umbrage because she didn't agree that that's what we were. It was the beginning of the end for that relationship-that-never-was, and I blame Chris Tucker. I took my housemate with me instead, and although we had a good time, I wish he hadn't tried to kiss me goodnight afterwards.

58. At the time of compiling this list, Jobe and I have now drawn THREE TIMES in the First Annual Bloggolympics (TM) over on Adam's blog. Personally, I think that means that both Jobe and myself are worthy of progressing to the next round, but I guess Adam needs there to only be a certain number of 'athletes' for the next round to work, so I have to try a fourth time to beat my formidable opponent in the first event: Rock, Paper, Scissors (click here for the official site - these people take it WAY too seriously and should all go and have a good lie-down). If I (eventually!) lose this first round to Jobe, I'm going to head up his cheerleading squad instead. Clearly he and I are very strong competitors, so it's unfortunate that we were drawn to play against each other in the first round and one of us has to be left behind at this early stage. Whatever the outcome, come on over to Adam's blog and view the results of each round. Bruce McAvaney commentary optional.

59. My favourite Disney character is Goofy; my favourite Warner Brothers character is Wile E. Coyote; my favourite Wacky Races character is Dick Dastardly; my favourite Simpsons character is Ralph Wiggum ... anybody noticing a bit of a trend, here? I generally go for the underdog, or the foolish idiot, or the comic relief. No surprises there, really. I'm sure many people are the same.

60. And I'm spent!


OK, time to tag some more people ... I choose to tag Clokeeeey because he hasn't blogged much lately and I want to know more about him (and 'cos he broke my watch). I also tag MelbourneGirl and La Nadine because although (or perhaps due to the fact that) they're both currently on hiatus from the blogosphere***, I'm sure they'll have heaps to share when they return (plus, I miss them). Additionally, I tag Gun Street Girl because I'd like to hear more about what goes on inside that brain of hers. And I tag Cape Man, because I haven't heard from him for a while and I want him to ... (click here for the rest of this sentence)****. :)


*** This just in: MelbourneGirl posted on her blog yesterday - I'm not sure if she's back for good now or if that was a brief interlude in the middle of her 'hiatus'; either way, the above reasoning still stands.

**** Only with less Minnie Driver, and no kissing.



.

17 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 02, 2005 12:31:00 pm, Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Umm . . . "religious" . . but not the word you would use?

That sounds vaguely like you're similar to myself. Though, I would never EVER use "religious", I think "spiritual" is a much better fit. Though, honestly, even that word isn't right.

Care to explain further??

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005 1:01:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

MeghansDiscontent, hi - thanks for commenting. :)

I don't mean 'religious' and I don't mean 'spiritual'. I certainly am both of those things, but they're not the words I'd use to describe myself (or that part of who I am).

And that's all I really want to say on it at the moment, because I've made a concerted effort not to bring my religious beliefs into play on this blog. Above all else, I respect everyone's right to believe what they like and don't want this to come out looking like a blog that's going to force its religious views on people.

I'm sure one day I'll elaborate further on this aspect of me (it's a major part of me, after all), but for now I'm happy just to leave it there. I'll clarify further details later; perhaps when I'm more confident that I won't scare people away because they think I'm going to get all 'preachy'.

After all, some 'religious-types' can be cool people too. And funny. And interesting. And friendly.

And hopefully this little 'admission' of mine won't cost me any blog friends I've made over the past several months. :)

I also hope no one feels they have to 'watch what they say' or tiptoe around me where they wouldn't have worried previously. There's no need for that. (You don't have to lay into me for it, though, either.)

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005 1:04:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

MeghansDiscontent, the last three paragraphs of the above comment weren't directed at you specifically.

(I just don't want you to feel that I was snapping at you or anything - quite the opposite! It was great to receive a comment from you!)

I was directing those last three paragraphs to the blogosphere at large, that's all. No individuals. :)

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005 1:06:00 pm, Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

LOL - sorry for making you trample on virgin ground. I just meant explain the term. Not your beliefs or anything that deep. Just wondered how you meant it. It was really vague and therefore intoxicatingly confusing. Thanks for what you felt you could say about it. It made me understand it a little better.

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005 1:45:00 pm, Blogger elaine said...

My mum made us learn to tell the time on analogue because the man at the jewellery shop where she bought our first watches gave her the following snippet:
when looking at a watch, people generally want to knowhow much time until...and don't want to know the time for its own sake and therefore an analogue watch is easier in the long run.

The clock on my mobile phone is set to analogue.

I think it's great that you have 'beliefs'. It's none of my business what they are and you shouldn't care that I care. I just thought I'd say.

Sooner or later, fluffy and I will get you onto cryptic crosswords...

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005 2:00:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Thanks for those comments, Meghan and Elaine. Much appreciated. :)

Also, that's great reasoning for the analogue watch being the superior choice! (Not so strange that a jeweller would spout that line, seeing as digital clocks mean less income for him, but it's still valid!)

As for the crosswords, I like solving mysteries and deciphering riddles, so I'm sure crytic crosswords would be a logical next step for my hungry mystery-loving mind! :)

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005 2:07:00 pm, Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

hey bevis, do you have any muppets books, or are there any you are needing? i have a couple of doubles

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005 2:23:00 pm, Blogger Adam said...

Dude, you've drawn Four times! Craziness!

I would love to put you both through, but there was a reason there was 8 competitors in the first place. It all comes down to maths.

I also completely struggle with analogue watches for exactly the same reason, whereas my little sister can read a watch without any numbers even on it.

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005 2:32:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

god i wish i had more time to spend here and on other blogs

thanks for tagging me bevis. i will do my utmost to get onto it as soon as i can

i think it's fine to open up about any stuff on here. sure people are wary, and that's ok. but i like it when people open up. about religion, i have my views but i also try to be tolerant. my major intolerance is for tossers and fuckwits and as you are clearly not one of them, then you are fine by me.

i'm also a night owl, however i do like to go to bed early often and read for hours.

i am not at all competitive, i don't think. i'm not sure about that. you'd think i'd know by now.

your catastrophising about shower screens rings a bell with me. not specifically that, but i have been known to completely fantasise terrible happenings. not sure why i do that. anxiety?

and the toilet roll thing. well, as it's ALWAYS ME who changes it (i suppose you are going to say the same thing?? anybody else??) i always hang it your way. there is no other way. my reason is it just looks wrong.

i also miss la nadine, i hope she is going ok. she'll be back.

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005 4:05:00 pm, Blogger sublime-ation said...

my keys! yay! and $2! and that ring I'd thought I'd lost!
thank, bevi, for helping me find these long lost items! (can I call you that, now we know how to pronounce your name, like 'Bevy'? or is it just too ocker?)
also and on 'myriad' yes an 'a' before it is just SO SO wrong!
spread the word, peops.

So is this comment. Way too many exclamation marks.

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005 7:32:00 pm, Blogger Cape Man said...

Ummmm.... Return to Me? Have I ever left you?

 
At Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:29:00 am, Blogger thr said...

Hmmm how do these two get along:
43. I don't partake in a sport or other outdoor activities.
And
50. I am extremely competitive, but only because I know I'm the best at most things. :)
~~~~~~~
Once you rule out sport and outdoor activities, that just leaves you as an intellectually vigorous kinda guy.
Cool.
thomasr

 
At Friday, November 04, 2005 11:26:00 am, Blogger gun street girl said...

DONE!

 
At Saturday, November 05, 2005 2:27:00 am, Blogger BEVIS said...

Little Faerie: You are too kind. I have responded to your email now, but the short answer is: "Gimme gimme gimme!" Thanks heaps.

Adam: Fifth time's the charm! I finally won it, people!

MelbourneGirl: In your own time. Thanks for your comments!

Sublime-ation: Glad I could help. And sure, either 'Bevy' or 'Bevi' is fine.

Sheriff: You're right, it didn't matter at all. :)

Cape Man: Search your heart. You know it to be true.

Thomasr: I meant more things like games, driving, 'debating' on topics I feel I know a lot about, etc. But I guess you could sum it all up by saying I'm intellectually vigorous, yeah. I like that moniker!

Creaky Boy: Yes, thanks for asking.

Gun Street Girl: Excellent, thanks! :)

 
At Saturday, November 05, 2005 8:36:00 pm, Blogger Cape Man said...

Re the toilet paper thing, The reason for going the overhand method is to show off the pattern of the paper (if it has it). The underhand method can be used to prevent the roll from accidentally unraveling via an overzealous tug at the paper. The angle of the paper on the underhand side can prevent that from happening.
Not that I think about these things too much.

 
At Sunday, November 06, 2005 8:28:00 pm, Blogger kranki said...

Do I have to write 20 things for each tag. I'm not feeling that sharey. It's all coming out negative but I'll post it tomorrow anywayz.

 
At Monday, November 07, 2005 10:35:00 am, Blogger BEVIS said...

No if you don't want to, I guess.

It's up to you. It's not meant to be a 'drag', so just do one list if it'll put a smile back on that dopey dial of yours!

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home