I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Welcome, From Around The World

Okay, this is a serious one. I need to find a whole list of different languages' translations of the word 'Welcome' (with the equivalent of the capital W included). It's for my work, and the only ones I've been able to find online are the following:


Arabic
Chinese (simple)
Chinese (traditional)
Dutch
English - actually, I didn't have to search online for this one!
French
German
Greek
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Portuguese
Russian
Spanish



So I thought, "Who better to help me but my worldwide readership and generally intelligent bunch of super-brains who visit my blog every day?!" (That includes you.)

Below is the list of languages I'm still looking for. Are you able to help?

If the answer can't be typed into the comments (I'd need any accents or 'unusual' characters to be visible, you see), please send me an email instead, perhaps with the translated word in a Microsoft Word document or something (whatever's convenient - as long as I can copy-and-paste it into my own list at this end).

My email address is:


muppet_bevis
@
tpg.com.au



Please make sure you identify which language/s you're helping me with!

I'd be EXTREMELY appreciative of any help you could give me for the following dialects:



Bangladesh
Burmese (Chin)
Burmese (Karen)
Burmese (Poe Karen)
Burmese (other?)
Chinese (Cantonese)
Chinese (Mandarin)
Fijian
Filipino (Tagalog)
Ghana
Hungarian
Indian (Talague)
Indian (Hindi)
Indian (Tamil)
Indonesian
Cambodian (Khmer)
Liberian
Mizo
Naga
Persian
Romanian
Samoan
Slavic (Russian)
Slovakian
Sudanese (Nuel)
Sudanese (Dinka)
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Vietnamese
West Papuan



Do you know any of these? Could you help out a non-multilingual moron?

Thank you!


.

11 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 02, 2007 2:23:00 pm, Blogger Kris said...

I can get your translations of "Welcome" in Korean and Mandarin Chinese tomorrow. I will ask my students.

 
At Wednesday, May 02, 2007 2:26:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Thanks!

Those are some of the hardest ones to pass on, though. I don't know how you'll be able to copy out the intricate Chinese characters for me ... but I appreciate you trying!

:)

 
At Wednesday, May 02, 2007 9:18:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

what the heck is mizo and naga? never heard of those.

i have a long comment for you at mine, but short answer is yes turkish is hoş geldiniz (plural/formal) hoş geldin (informal/singular)

you'd probably capitalise the "H" and maybe the "G" as well. not sure, it's stylistic rather than anything else (ie how you want it to look)

good luck.
iyi şanslar!

 
At Wednesday, May 02, 2007 9:48:00 pm, Blogger Cinema Minima said...

"Selamat Datang" is the Indonesian equivalent of welcome, but I prefer "Silakan", which means, "relax and enjoy". It also works in Malaysia.

Check out Babelfish if you get stuck. It's fun because you can write things like...

Felicitaciones en su Senior' Bevis del blog. Su conocimiento en el MuppetShow es extraordinario y su esmero a sus postes es recomendable. Pozo hecho.

...without actually knowing any Spanish!

 
At Thursday, May 03, 2007 7:27:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've asked my main man if he could enquire at his work, it's pretty multicultural

 
At Thursday, May 03, 2007 8:51:00 am, Blogger BEVIS said...

MelbourneGirl, I'm not actually sure about Mizo and Naga; they're on the list I was provided by the Multicultural Director here at work, and she didn't give me any extra information. I have to source the word 'Welcome' for her in all those languages, so I presume they're little-known dialects in Indonesia, Asia, or somewhere like that. Thank you for the information on hoş geldiniz - very helpful!

The Man At The Pub, gracias por sus palabras buenas y abundantes. El gentleness y la prosperidad de mayo le siguen todos sus días, y la felicidad le saluda cada mañana.

Colls Bolls, much appreciated. If it turns out that he's unable to help, perhaps one of your secondary men could assist me? :)

 
At Thursday, May 03, 2007 2:28:00 pm, Blogger Kris said...

Bevis- I can always scan the writing and send it to you in an attachment.

 
At Thursday, May 03, 2007 2:31:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

You can - and if you're happy to go to so much trouble for me, I'm delighted and very appreciative!

:)

 
At Saturday, May 05, 2007 10:01:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mizo,...? i belong to this group.

Mizo is the most common language of Mizoram of North East India.

In case of Nagas, there are about 20-30 dialects of the Naga of Nagaland of North East India.Nagamese, english, Hindi are the common languages of Nagaland.


h.vanlalhruaia@gmail.com

 
At Sunday, May 06, 2007 2:15:00 pm, Blogger Chai said...

You can find some of them here.

 
At Monday, May 07, 2007 6:49:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

flickr (the photography site) uses a different language's welcome everytime you load it. Maybe you can just jump on, keep refreshing it, and steal their list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home