I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

There's Just A Few More Hours ...

I'm heading in to work today. Yes, the place from which I resigned in a blaze of glory and at which I "finished up" last week. Technically, I've been "working from home" since Monday, and today is my literal last day. Whatever.

I'm going back in to clean out some more of my stuff and assist my replacement for an hour or so with some of the trickier problems that I'm happily leaving behind. Because I'm simply that nice. Then I'm off to lunch with Riss, who is kindly shouting my meal (sort of like a belated St Valentine's Day date, only it's nothing like that at all, so please don't tell our partners!).

I might even post a review on this wonderful blog of the place where we'll be dining. But all in good time.

I've got to get through a few more hours of that horrible workplace, first. Hopefully I can get through it okay and walk out with my head held high, rather than crawling out the door, feeling utterly defeated, dragging myself over the threshhold by sheer force-of-will and only managing to get there by using my fingernails to scrape out of there inch by inch ...

I have a feeling I'm going to be 'given a talking to' by my newly-arrived-back-from-a-year's-maternity-leave manager (I know there's a better way to word that sentence but I can't be bothered re-typing it), concerning the whole email thing. But I just can't be stuffed going through it all with her (and I don't know what line she's going to take on it).

She could be really apologetic about it, she could take the hard line of a united front from the managers' perspective, or (more likely - as she's been away and probably only knows what the Male Manager has told her ... or hasn't told her) she could just ask me for my side of the story. Whatever it is, I don't want to say too much on the topic because of my as-yet-secret plans of taking the matter further through the right channels.

But it's only a couple of hours. And there's a nice lunch at the end of it to look forward to. And the very rewarding feeling of not having to return to the place ever again. Or answer any more emails (which is what I've been doing these past couple of days).

But that's where I'm at. Hopefully from tomorrow I'll have more time to job hunt, relax, get to know myself again, and (more importantly) visit all your wonderful blogs and catch up on my reading.

Speak to you soon!

13 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:14:00 am, Blogger Susanne said...

Have a nice lunch!

 
At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:43:00 am, Blogger Peter said...

Good luck, man.

Last days are the best things ever. Pretty much zero consequences for your actions. Show them the email, smile smugly, walk away. = Respect.

PS Did you get my email in response to your email? I didn't hear back.

 
At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 11:03:00 am, Blogger Pomgirl said...

Do you have a locker to empty? I've always found that quite a cathartic experience, discovering paperwork I should have filled in, the odd shrivelled orange and a cuddly little lamb with a gimpy arm.

Enjoy your lunch and the oh-so-sweet feeling of freedom...

 
At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:15:00 pm, Blogger elaine said...

So... is it over????

Hooray! for Gainful unemployment!

 
At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 8:22:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Thanks Suzanne, I certainly did. :) It was lovely of Riss to shout me lunch like that. Review to come on We Do Chew Our Food.

Pomgirl, I don't have a locker to empty, but I had piles of papers all over my desk and on the bookshelf above my head (it'd been too hectic replacing myself this past month to do anything like tidying up!). Most of it went into the recycling bin, but a few odds and ends were kept for my replacement to mull over. I took a stack of stuff home. Tell me, do you think it's wrong to take these things home with you when leaving a job?

(a) post-it notes
(b) a box of staples
(c) a stapler
(d) a petty cash box containing $4,595 in unmarked bills
(e) a ruler

I guess it depends on whether I work for a bank or the mafia.

Elaine, as Jesus said on the crucifix, "It is finished". But then he died. And he'd had a far worse day than I did. So the similarities stop with the notion of it all being done. I feel great, though. Released. Free. Able to relax. (Pina colada, anyone?)

Hey Peter. Thanks for that, and for the email. Yes, I received it, but haven't had a chance to reply yet for the reasons outlined yesterday in the comments section. I've forwarded your email to my new address so I can reply from there, though - and this I will do shortly. Thanks so much! :)

PS - I didn't show anyone the email today that I received from Male Manager, but my secret plans are still afoot ...

 
At Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:59:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

come on, where's my return phone call?

 
At Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:14:00 am, Blogger Melba said...

hey bevis. glad it went ok and you had a nice lunch. will check review later.

i. am. so. busy.

it. is. driving. me. mad.

x

 
At Thursday, February 16, 2006 2:34:00 pm, Blogger Steph said...

Well done yaself! Go out and skip amongst the tulips and yell, " I'm freeeeee". Provided you can find Tulips of course. No other flower will suffice for frolicking.

 
At Thursday, February 16, 2006 4:27:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

steph, excuse me for being bossy here but tulips are strictly for tip-toing only: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_Tim)

skip through long grass, daisies i guess would be ok, lavender would be lovely (without bees).

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 4:00:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been an honour working with you, Bevis. You have made the place much more bearable, and your resignation is a loss to the organisation. And a gain to you. I'm glad you waited until after I'd left before leaving, cos I'm not sure I coulda coped with those last few months without you and Tor there to hang out with.

Good luck with the 'taking things further' deal - if you want ANY help, ANY corroborating evidence, ANY support, etc., I'm definitely here for you. I wanna take those f*ckers down almost as much as you do (and I'm not the only one of my crew to feel that way). So just ask.

See you at cbomb's party.

xx Charlie

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 5:03:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

poppies. that's what the best skipping flowers would be.

like in the wiz of oz.

werd.

 
At Thursday, February 23, 2006 2:25:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it wrong to take an enormous whiteboard? Cos we did when we left The Place4U.

And are you coming to my housewarming? I don't know if I sent you an invite, cos I don't think you're in my address book yet, but I stuffed up the invites anyway so here it is again:
Chloe and Chris and Kaos's housewarming
Saturday 25 Feb
4pm (NOT 8pm as previously advertised, or 6pm as I amended it later - 4pm)
IT IS A BBQ. (I didn't know.) Bring things for eating if you wish.
16 Laura St Brunswicktown

 
At Thursday, February 23, 2006 7:20:00 pm, Blogger BEVIS said...

Spankk, maybe if you sent me more gifts, like subscriptions to movie magazines, I'd be more inclined to return your call ...

MelbourneGirl, no worries - I understand busyness completely! I think it'll be posted this coming Sunday.

Steph, thanks. I'm not going to enter in to this 'discussion' you and MelbourneGirl are having about the best flowers to dance or tiptoe through, but I'll tell you this: My mother always told me it wasn't nice to trample someone else's flowers anyway. So I'll stay on the footpath and be happy, if it's all the same to you. :)

Her Radicalness, those are very kind words. Thank you for that. :) I've nearly finished preparing my response to the matter now ... stay tuned.

CBomb, thanks for your invite - I know you posted a comment the other day as well, but I didn't read it before 'approving' it - and now I can't find where it is. I suspect Blogger is swallowing random comments, because the same thing happened yesterday to one of Kranki-boy's comments after I approved it. It's nowhere! My apologies if you thought I rejected it or something. Quite the opposite. I approved it without even bothering to check it first (intending to read it when I replied to it here), but now I think it's gone AWOL. Something else to complain to Blogger about.

Anyway, thanks for the invite to your party. Unfortunately, Wifey and I are hosting a dinner party (of sorts) of our own on Saturday night. Friends we haven't seen for ages - and Wifey's preparing a whole meal for them and everything. Sorry about that; I really do appreciate the invitation (but no, I didn't receive an email - not to my new address, anyway) and I think it might have been a good opportunity for me to 'canvas opinion' (and possibly 'support') amongst any Council or Campus Committee members present (if any) before I submit my ... "next phase". I know that sounds really selfish to talk about myself instead of you (it's your party, after all), but I'm trying to prove that I'm not making up a false excuse - I'd even benefit personally by attending, in addition to all the fun and warm fuzzy feelings I'd enjoy giving you at the same time, of course!

*sigh*

I don't know if the above came across right, but I wasn't trying to offend.

And I was most amused by the comment about the 'enormous whiteboard' theft. When did this allegedly happen? I know my web editor replacement bought one for her workings-out of the new web structure shortly before I finished up, so if you took that one, there could be some trouble a-brewin'! But I'm sure that wasn't it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home