I Blogged Myself

Why do you always come here? I guess we'll never know. It's like a kind of torture, To read this blog, y'know.

Welcome to the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational blog since Kermit left just a little bit of the swamp in his pants.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Broken Hearted

Wifey received a beautiful necklace for her birthday last Friday. It wasn't from me - it was from one of her close girlfriends. It had a beautiful red glass heart hanging from it, and she loved it. She adored it. She cherished it. She wore it each day and intended to keep doing so.

But then two nights ago, after a particularly difficult day, and having owned it for only four days, she was taking it off in the bathroom when the glass heart ran down the cord and off the end, landing in the enamel basin and smashing into two biggish pieces.

She was - literally and emotionally - heart broken. It was enough to bring on the tears, seeing as it was such a beautiful gift that probably wasn't at all cheap and had meant so much to her.

The significance of her heart breaking after the rough day she'd had was not lost on either of us. All I could do was hold her while she cried silently. It killed me.

Now we face the dilemma of what to do about it. It's possible that the friend who gave it to her will read this (I'm not sure how likely it is, but it's certainly possible), so there's no point pretending it didn't happen. We've already resigned ourselves to this. And we're worried that the friend will be just as disappointed with what happened as we are.

Thankfully, the actual break was 'clean'. I'm confident that, with the right solvent or whatever, we can put the two pieces back together and you won't be able to tell it was ever broken. The part that broke away from the majority of the piece is the bit with the glass loop at the top of the heart where you thread the necklace through. The two pieces already fit into each other without hassle when holding them together.

But how to stick it back together? Do I just use normal super glue? Both sections are glass, and I'm not sure if that's the best option. Should I take it to a jeweller or glass blower and ask them to seal the pieces back together professionally? Is there another product that's better for sealing glass to glass? What about if it's slightly coloured, like this is? (Red, of course.)

I figured that if anyone will know, someone on the Internet can advise me. :)

Please help me mend Wifey's broken heart.

6 Comments:

At Thursday, October 13, 2005 12:52:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a special type of glue that you can use to seal glass and crystal, but I can't recall the name. I'm sure any good hardware store would be able to help. The friend who gave the necklace, I'm sure would understand that accidents happen and hopefully won't be as upset as wifey was.

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2005 2:54:00 pm, Blogger LadyCracker said...

I have no idea. that is sad

here let me cheer you up with something I found and came over here to give you before reading this.

http://www.live365.com/stations/muppetcentral

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2005 3:06:00 pm, Blogger Melba said...

bevis, you can glue it up. and cotton, you can mend a broken heart.

you really can.

i feel for you.

[feels for cotton and cotton's broken heart. gropes around, it is gooey and wet, and rent down the middle. feels for wifey's broken heart too, gets cut finger]

hey, who turned the lights off?

sorry bevis, not being flip. trying to cheer you up.

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2005 4:55:00 pm, Blogger Djali said...

ooh ooh I know of someone who can help you. He knows all about glue. His name is Little Nemo. Just go to his blog - http://simonland.blogspot.com - and tell him I sent you. All the best :)

 
At Friday, October 14, 2005 2:28:00 pm, Blogger Susanne said...

Oh bevis, I'm so sorry. Hope you can get it fixed or get a new one. Do you think you could ask the friend where she got it from and get a replacement? I'm sure she/he would understand that accidents happen.

 
At Friday, October 14, 2005 7:52:00 pm, Blogger Simon. said...

broken hearts can be mended, but they are never quite as innocent afterwards...

i would probably try araldite ultra-clear, and have some acetone-based nail-polish remover on hand to clean away any glue that squeezes out when you put the pieces together. I think you will still be able to see the join, but the heart will be in one piece.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home